Chapter 6: Right Hook

*Shaun's POV*

Within the next twelve minutes, we have Amelia set up on an IV drip, ventilator, and broad-spectrum antibiotics. She's stable, for now. 

"As of now, Amelia is on our list of intensive care patients. She needs to be monitored closely until we see signs of the antibiotics kicking in." Dr. Melendez orders. 

Claire shakes her head and brushes a strand of hair out of Amelia's face, "Poor kid. She's already been through so much."

Jared looks up at Dr. Melendez from his chair, "Is it a good idea to give a kid super strong antibiotics?"

"She's on a very low dose, so hopefully the antibiotics will kill off the bad bacteria and not stick around too long to kill off the good bacteria in her body." Dr. Melendez explains.

"How long has she had this?" Claire asks out of tender concern.

"Days? Weeks? Months? We don't know." Dr. Melendes admits while taking a sip of his coffee.

Jared points out, "I doubt she has a very rare bacteria colony invading her body. She was trapped in a basement with dogs and was living in very unsanitary conditions, so these antibiotics should start kicking in by the next hour."

"She's strong. She'll live." I state loud enough for them to hear.

Dr. Melendez leans forward and says to me, "Shaun. I understand that you care for your patients a lot. Sometimes going to manic lengths with your crazy ideas to keep them alive. But not all of our patients make it. It's part of our job."

While he isn't looking, I pull out my toy scalpel and hold it firmly in my hands, "Steve would want me to save her. I will save her. She will not die." The four of us wait for Amelia to wake up. The room smells like bleach today, with a hint of barf. Not a very pleasant smell.

Eventually, Jared left to grab some water. 

Claire left to grab Amelia's files. 

Only Dr. Melendez and I were left in the room. 

*Claire's POV*

I close the door and start walking to the elevator so that I can grab Amelia's newly updated files. As I am waiting in front of the elevator, a tall lanky man walks past me. Usually, I'm not the type to judge by how people dress. But his appearance set off alarm bells in my head as I examine him closely. 

Garish tattoos cover his entire right arm and I'm pretty sure that I caught an upside down cross at the base of his skull. There are multiple piercings on his lips, nose, and left eyebrow. His clothes are all black, complete with a metal chain hanging off his hip.

How in the world did he get past security? This is the isolation ward. Visitors need a pass and escort to visit family members.

I turn around to watch him storm down the hallway, his steps are sluggish and he's staggering as if he is drunk.

I summon up my courage and clear my throat, "Sir? Excuse me! Are you a visitor?" I call him out. 

He swings around to face me and gives me a leering smile, revealing yellow-stained teeth. This sets off alarm bells in my mind and I freeze in place.

"Something the matter sweet cheeks?" He asks innocently. I feel shivers run down my spine as he starts walking my way, similar to how a tom-cat would stalk down its prey. 

I look him in the eye, hoping that none of my fear shows, "Visitors need a pass and security escort to visit family members down here." I explain, my voice never wavering. 

Out of the nowhere, he whips out a handgun and points the tip of the weapon only a few inches away from my nose. My breath hitches and I can feel the color drain from my face. Now that he is up close, I can smell the stench of booze wafting off of him. Bile rises in my throat, but I force it down.

"Listen here you bitch, I'm only going to ask once. Where. Is. My. Daughter?"

*Shaun's POV*

Dr. Melendez and I are sitting in the room silently, listening to the slow "beep" of Amelia's heart monitor. 

But the peace is broken when the door to the room slams open.

We both turn around in shock and jump out of our chairs on instinct at the sight of a gun pointed to Claire's temple. Her face with streaked with tears and if you look close enough you can see the beginnings of a bruise on her left cheek. Her assailant is a white Caucasian male, who appears to be approximately 6 ft, and about 30 years of age. 

A familiar smell hits my nose and it causes me to freeze. Physically and mentally. 

"He smells like dad. 

He smells like dad. 

He smells like dad. 

He. 

Smells. 

Like. 

Dad."

"Hey, punk!"

I snap out of my trance and my focus is snatched by the man threatening Claire. He jerks his chin in the direction of Amelia's unconscious form.

"Give her to me. And I'll let this pretty little thing go." He bargains.

I look at Amelia, then I look at Claire, then I look back at the anxious-looking man, "Are you Amelia's father?" I ask.

The man blinks rapidly a few times, "Whatcha say?"

"Are you the one who hurt her?" I ask. Dr. Melendez shoots me a panicked glare, but I ignore it.

The man scowls, "Yeah, so what? Just hand the girl over!"

I pace nervously in my spot, before saying, "Give us Dr. Brown, and then I'll give you Amelia."

Dr. Melendez's eyes widen in horror and he grabs my shoulder, "What the hell are you doing!?!" He hisses in my ear.

The man narrows his eyes, before nodding in agreement, "Fine." He slurs, before shoving Claire into Dr. Melendez. They both crash onto the floor and now the gun is pointed towards me, "Now hand her over."

I pick up Amelia from her bed and carefully cradle her in my arms. Then I slowly approach the dangerous man. 

"Don't do it Shaun!!!" Claire screams, but I continue to walk forward. When I'm only a yard away from the man, I look over my shoulder and make brief eye contact with Dr. Melendez before throwing Amelia into his arms. 

Before the other man can react, I whip around and send a right hook into his face. He's sent stumbling backwards out into the hallway, where he crashes into a heap on the floor. The gun is dropped from his hands and I quickly kick the weapon away. The man struggles to get back on his feet, but before he can stand upright, another right hook crashes into his nose and blood is drawn from the broken nose. He crumples to the floor and doesn't get up.

Jared looks down at the man he just punched. Then he stares at me. Then he peers into the room where Dr. Melendez and Claire are staring at me in shock. Then he looks over at Amelia who is supposed to be in the bed, but is lying on Dr. Melendez's arms.

"What the fuck happened while I was gone!?"

To Jared, it had only been about ten minutes.

To us, it had been an eternity.