Chapter 4: Applesauce

*NO ONE'S POV*

Claire walks into the meeting lounge and sets a box on the table, startling everyone in the room. "This was just delivered this morning. It's the examination tools we need for Amelia." She explains, while Shaun, Jared, and Dr. Melendez gather around the table and look through the tools inside the cardboard box. 

Dr. Melendez nods in approval of the 'cute and kid-friendly' looking equipment.

Jared raises his brows and says, "Well I guess that leaves only one problem standing."

"What?" Claire asks. 

"WHO is going to perform the examination?" Jared asks, before quickly raising his hands in defeat and backing away from the table. "I mean come on. You'd have to be crazy to do it. Look at Shaun! He already got attacked TWICE."

Shaun shakes his head, "No. It was not her fault. I provoked her to attack." he quicks jumps to defend.

"But that doesn't make it okay. I mean look at your hands! You won't be in the operating room for days!" Claire points out, observing the tightly wrapped gauze around Shaun's hands. Shaun unwraps his hands and lifts them up for them to see. 

"Oh my god Shaun, it's not even that bad. That's just a waste of gauze." Jared jokes. 

"I don't like pain." Shaun states blandly. And the discussion was dropped from that point after Shaun rewraps his hands.

Dr. Melendez quickly readdresses the problem, "I've asked the nurses, but they're a little afraid. She tried to attack them while they were feeding her applesauce."

"Isn't this the kinda stuff they get paid for? I mean, they are trained to handle these kind of things." Claire argues, her tone laced with incredulousness. 

"All I'm asking is for one volunteer to be on stand-by during the examination with a needle of anesthetics so the nurses can be reassured for their safety." Dr. Melendez asks, looking at each doctor in the eyes. He pauses on Shaun and rethinks his suggestions. Melendez pinches the bridge of his nose and asks Shaun, "She's more comfortable around you right?"

Shaun looks of into space, but replies, "She might try to escape if she sees the needle."

Claire sighs and raises her hand, "I guess I'll just go then. If you boys don't have the guts to sit next to a little girl."

Dr. Kalu immediately jumps to his own self-defense as a male. It doesn't take long before both doctors get wrapped up in a discussion to defend their pride of their genders. 

Shaun stands awkwardly beside them and fidgets a little, anxiously glancing at the door now and then. Dr. Melendez runs a hand through his hair and turns to Shaun, "Never mind. I'm putting you on the job. Don't let me down Murphy."

Both Dr. Kalu and Dr. Brown watch as Dr. Melendez walks out of the room. Jared chuckles and inquires, "Did he just willingly give Shaun a job?"

This causes Claire to chuckle and shrug, "Well. I hope you have fun Shaun. Call us though if things get a little complicated." 

Shaun nods, but doesn't say anything in to reply. His teammates help him carry the stuff to Amelia's room, where she is in a deep sleep from the last dose of sedatives. 

With her wounds cleaned and her hair finally trimmed (after sedating her), she looks very frail and delicate like a wilted daisy in the ground, her face pale and her limbs shockingly thin. 

They set the box of examination tools on a nearby table. 

"You should probably do the examination while she's asleep like that." Jared suggests.

Shaun shakes his head, "N-no. I must examine her while she's awake or else the results will be skewed."

Claire agrees, "Shaun's right. If we need to perform surgery on her in the future, we'll need to know her BPM, blood pressure, etc."

Shaun starts taking out the examination tools and laying them out on the table in excessive organization. Claire watches him work with a sigh and says, "I'll go fetch the nurses assigned to help you." then leaves the room. 

Jared sits next to Amelia and couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl. She must be terrified. 

He softly brushes his fingers over the pink scars on her arms. She stirs in her sleep and glances over to the side of the bed. Jared freezes and Shaun says, "Oh good. She's awake."

Amelia is now fully aware of her surroundings and is looking curiously at the toys on the table. She remembers playing with toys with mommy. Amelia reaches out both hands to show that she wants to play with the toys.

Jared gives a disbelieving and relived smile to Shaun, "I think she likes them." 

Shaun brings over the cute looking stethoscope and lets her play with it. 

She fondles the panda's cute face and smiles when Jared gets up to bring even more "toys"

She fondles the panda's cute face and smiles when Jared gets up to bring even more "toys". Within the next thirty minutes, the both of them were able to finish the examination with no trouble at all. They didn't even need the nurses.

Jared brought their lunches to her room and sets the trays on the table.  Shaun pets her head and says, "You've been a VERY good girl."

"Don't talk to her as if she's a pet." Jared says while picking the tomatoes out of his sandwich. 

"She thinks she's a dog. How is that different than when a boy thinks he's a girl?" Shaun remarks bluntly.

Jared puts down his sandwich and replies, "That is totally different Shaun. Calling a human an animal is inhumane."

"Technically we ARE animals." Shaun corrects.

Jared sighs and simply continues eating his sandwich, while Shaun feeds Amelia small spoonfuls of applesauce. 

"Are you guys already done?" Dr. Melendez says as he enters the room suddenly.

"She likes the toys." Shaun says. 

Dr. Melendez gives Amelia a small smile. "That's good. Good job, to both of you." He walks to the door, but stops short, "I'm going to pick up Amelia's blood test results from yesterday when she was unconscious. If I find anything bad, we'll have a meeting to discuss our next course of action."

The two residents nod and Dr. Melendez leaves.

Shaun looks down at his left hand and says, "You can let go now." 

Amelia surprisingly lets go and Shaun spoonfuls the rest of the applesauce into her mouth. Jared smiles at the cuteness of it and passes Shaun an apple.