Chapter 19: Against a Nation

Sunlight was already hitting Korra's face when she opened her eyes. She groaned, trying to escape the annoying sunlight. She opened her eyes once she turned, and saw the adorable face of a sleeping Asami at her collarbone. Korra looked around, realizing her bare legs were brushing against Asami's. All the memories last night flashed back to her mind. Reluctantly, she pulled the covers and saw their naked bodies. Korra immediately felt heat coming up her face. So it wasn't a dream. The avatar thought while still staring. Little did she know, the heiress was smirking the whole time.

"Like what you see avatar?" Asami softly whispered. Korra nearly jumped and she embarrassingly put back their cover. "Goodness Asami. You scared the crap out of me." Korra whispered back, trying to avoid the heiress' gaze. Asami giggled as she touched Korra's cheek and made her face the heiress. Asami leaned in and placed a soft kiss on Korra's lips. As they parted, the heiress gave her another teasing smirk. "Good morning." She said as she stood up and made her way to the bathroom. Korra sat up, reflecting on what happened and what could possibly happen to them now. Clearly, they made love. So, does that mean Asami felt the same towards me? Are we together now? Korra thought. She laughed to herself. "Of course she did. She was just scared for me." Korra blurted out, not realizing she said it out loud. Just as she covered her mouth and wished that the heiress didn't heard her, Asami stepped out of the bathroom, now dressed and fresh from bath. She glanced at Korra.

"Korra, you're up." She said while fixing her hair. The avatar frowned, suddenly felt the need to bring the topic up.

"A-Asami, about last night—"

"Clean up, Korra. We'll talk about that later." The heiress interrupted. The avatar looked at her. Seeing that she was serious, Korra got up without saying another word.

*****

Tenzin and the others have started eating breakfast when the two women joined them. Tenzin smiled at them, "Good morning, ladies." Korra lazily sat beside Jinora and Asami sat beside Pema. The heiress was watching Korra, a little bit suspicious that the avatar got upset. "Morning Tenzin." Korra said as dig in at the food in the table. An uncomfortable silence surrounded the group. Jinora catched her father's eyes. Tenzin immediately knew what she meant as he cleared his throat.

"By the way, Korra, Mako just told us he needs you at the city. Something about the citizens demanding to see the avatar and Raiko's getting tired of it so he wants you to talk to the public again. And oh, his presidential campaign getting worse too." Tenzin sighed.

"What do you mean getting worse?" Korra asked. Jinora snorted. "Oh, like promising things to the people that's impossibly hard to accomplish because the city's broke?" Korra rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry, Zhu Li's still there to help you." Tenzin said smiling. "Aren't you coming too?" Korra said pouting. "I am. Just.. I still have something else to do and Mako said he needs you as soon as possible."

Tenzin glanced at her and noticed she was just now playing with her food. The master airbender frowned, his eyes caught Asami watching Korra. "Can you go with Korra, Asami?" He asked. They both looked at him. Then the heiress smiled. "Of course." Korra sighed.

"Well then, we'll borrow Oogie—"

"We're taking a boat, thank you." Asami immediately said. All eyes are now on the two women as they stare at each other. Tenzin raised his eyebrows, his gaze darting between Korra and Asami. By that, he knew something was up. That's why there was an awkward silence. He cleared his throat again, "Sure, I'll let the white lotus know." Tenzin said. Little did they know, Korra's heart was pounding so hard at the thought that the journey to the city will be long enough for certain things to be talked about. And she was nervous at what she might hear.