21

Chapter 21

Haley ate very little dinner that night with the Devin's. The mates were all talking gaily about their day and admiring each other as Haley felt mopey and out of place with them. It was unusual for her to feel that way with Tyson and Bethany but she just thought she missed her mate and that was the problem.

Which actually was true because Xavier felt mopey too but knew he needed answers or anything at all to try and keep his Haley safe.

Haley decided she should just shower and go to bed as there was nothing better to do and she didn't want to stay with the couples.

Haley found it comparatively difficult to actually fall asleep though which was not like her at all as she loved sleep and her body usually craved it with her lack of nutrients.

The problem was her body craved the touch of Xavier more and more as more distant was put between them. It was as if Haley and Xavier had a string connecting them and the further they got from each other the further that string pulled wanting them to snap back together.

A frustrated huff came from Haley's lightly parted lips as she sat up in bed. It had been three hours of trying to fall asleep but her mind only wandered back to Xavier and stayed wide awake.

She stood from her bed wrapping the fluffy brown comforter around her slim body as she walked to her window seat. The same window that Xavier had took her from. She rested her forehead against the cool window pane looking out into the dark forest she loved to explore and then she closed her eyes. Within the next forty five minutes she was asleep with her face pressed against the glass of the window unattractively.

This was not the case for Xavier. He knew he would get no sleep so he traveled all day through Colorado and up to North Central Wisconsin where the Moonstone pack is located. It was about a twenty hour drive and if he drove through the night he could make it there at about nine in the morning. He would not have to stop and try to sleep because he knew he wouldn't be able to without his mate in his arms. Not only would he not be with his mate but he wouldn't be getting information about his mate quick enough if he decided to stop.

*

Making it to the border of the Moonstone pack at nine fourteen Xavier was quickly let through and directed to the Alphas home. Getting there quickly he stepped out of the car to be greeted by the Alpha, Beta, and Delta.

Perfect. He though as now he wouldn't have to go looking for the person he needed. The older man was standing right in front of him.

"Alpha Daron. How may we help you." The Alpha spoke getting straight to business.

"I would like to speak to your Delta, Steve. I have some questions about your granddaughter, my mate." Xavier said addressing the Delta who looked taken back for a moment.

"Yes of course. Come. I'll call my wife as well." The Delta answered accommodating Xavier.

Xavier followed the man into the house as he was lead into a open white living room.

"Please take a seat. Flora should be here shortly." He spoke about his wife as the men took a seat opposite of each other.

An older lady walked in with a lovely smile of her face as she saw her mate. Xavier then caught her eye.

"Hello. I am Flora." She greeted the Alpha confidently.

"Hello Flora. I am Alpha Xavier. Haley's mate." He replied loving the way he could openly call Haley his mate.

Then the conversation started to flow. The grandparents asked about Haley and how she was. If she had figured out she was a wolf. As conversation continued it was now a deeper topic about Haley's mother and father.

Steve and Flora did not like to talk about who Haley's father was because they did not enjoy seeing Hadlee's mate turn on her. They thought it was terrible, no one deserved to have that happen, and that wolf didn't deserve a mate to begin with. They were also not the biggest fan of Jake taking cared of Haley instead of Alpha Gunner but we're glad that Haley had a loving father and Hadlee a loving husband.

They explained how Hadlee had only been with Gunner so he was the biological father but he should have no clue that Haley was even born. They also explained how Jake took care of her as his own.

After the explanation the mates started to get curious.

"May we know why you need this information Alpha Daron." Steve asked kindly.

"Please call me Xavier." He started as the ranks didn't matter now that they should be considered family to some degree. "We have got a couple of messages about Haley's "real father" wanting her and possibly hurting her. All Haley knew was her father was dead so we didn't understand. Now it makes sense as Alpha Gunner has been trying to contact me more often. Thank you for the explanation."

"They want to attack her?" Flora said taking in the new information.

"I don't know. I'm guessing so at this point but I didn't have enough information on who and I still don't understand why." Xavier spoke thoughtfully about his mate that he adored.

That was almost the exact same thing Haley was thinking about that night. Xavier, how she adore him and think of him as hers. He said they were soulmates after all. She knew these feelings were not ones of just liking someone and not ones of loving a family member. She almost felt as if she was just infatuated with Xavier as that was what she constantly thought about.

Him.

She wondered what he was doing. What he was thinking about. Where he was. If he was okay. If he was happy. If he missed her as much as she was missing him.

Her mind continued to play a slideshow of pictures of the two as she was drifting off to sleep. Some things had already happened other things didn't and she wished they had. One was her sitting on Xavier's lap in his office while another was her on his lap in their bed kissing. She had never been kissed but it was as if she could feel his firm but soft lips on hers and the arm that started to tightly wrap around her waist. It was warm and safe.

Until it wasn't.