0|3.1 : The Girl From The River

The feeling of suffocation overcame me within the darkness of my mind. The pain and biting cold waking my conscious to reveal the cause. I struggled to open my eyelids only to be welcomed by a sudden force touching them without care. Panicked I wanted to cry out in pain but found that the moment I opened my mouth it too was invaded, I was choking.

Only then did I realize the danger. I was drowning, unable to determine which way was up or down. As if it too had just realized my panic my body forced me to breath forgetting the lack of air around me. How badly I wanted to plug my nose and cover my mouth only to find my body refused to obey.

My body continued gasping on reflex hoping, praying that the next breath would be of air. It never was, only icy water that froze my insides, biting at my lungs. With every breath and intake of water my conscious slowly grew clouded and silent.

Before I knew it the pain had overwhelmed me, my throat was raw, my head foggy, and my lungs frozen. Everything turned black, as I felt something rough wrap around me, imprisoning me.

I didn't want to die.

Ba-dum...ba-dum... ba-dum...

Rhythmic beats played repeatedly in my conscious pulsing in the darkness. In intervals of five seconds it would skip a beat. With each skipped beat the feeling as if my body was collapsing in on itself assaulted my mind.
Following it I felt as if my body was expanding on its self close to bursting. And then it was repeated over and over and over.

It continued until I heard small incoherent voices echo in my mind.

"....ca!.... En.....gh ..... Re....... sh....g.....ne"

"N.... I..... nt.... gi.... up....."

These ramblings grew more coherent as the beats continued to play. Though the words said were never the same. Again I listened and listened until I felt something rushing up to my head as if desperate to escape. It hurt but the pain woke me from the darkness as I coughed violently, frozen water falling from my mouth.

I coughed until I couldn't breath anymore, my throat raw burning with every breath of air. My body greedily demanding air in place of the water to fill itself.

Only than did I register the hard spiked gravel under me and the bright cloudy sky overhead. As well as the wet clothes and hair which clung to my body and the numb feeling of my limbs. The blurry figures of two creatures standing over me and the warm furnace like being that lay on my bare chest hidden beneath my clothes.

In shock my mouth fell open soft words stumbling out as a show of my confusion. Before I could even comprehend my own words or the response given to me I felt the regular beats return, yet the pulsing was stronger, much stronger than before. I passed out again.