Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

Clay doesn’t say anything as we strap ourselves in, just does so himself, then starts flicking through my IPod. He stops at something and plugs it into the speakers. We’re just leaving my house, where we both drove to after I finished work, so that when we got back, we could head over to hill top together.

Once I’ve started the car and pulled away from the sidewalk, the music begins to play, and the bands’ familiar sound has me moving to the beat.

‘These guys are awesome.’ He says, putting the IPod in the tray.

‘Yeah, I think so too.’ I desperately try and stop myself from singing along, as I’ve heard this album so many times, and I know that if he heard my voice, he’d not want to stay in the car. I actually have to bite down on my lip to stop myself.

To my surprise, but making me very happy, he starts to hum along to one of the songs. And then, once it reaches the chorus, he’s singing every word of the lyrics perfectly. And, as a bonus, his voice isn’t actually too bad. Very low and sexy. I smile, and glance over to him, he catches me and grins, suddenly exaggerating the words.

I give in and start singing to, and then it’s this weird sing along thing, and it makes us both crack up in hysterics by the end of the song.

‘Sorry.’ He says, still trying to stop himself from laughing. ‘I hear that song, and I just have to . . . you know?’

I laugh. ‘I do, I really do. I was biting my lip until you started belting it out.’

‘I wouldn’t say that belting was the right word.’ He says, grinning. ‘But, hey, we sang together. I guess that’s cute.’ He laughs, and touches my arm lightly. ‘I want to kiss you again.’

I blush, and try not to look at him, but I have to glance back, and I see that his eyes are just so alight and happy, it makes me unable to do anything but smile. ‘And, hey, you’ve got a pretty good voice.’ I say, attempting to change the subject.

‘Pah! No I don’t.’ He shakes his head and places his hand on my arm again, rubbing up and down lightly. ‘But thanks.’

I wait for it . . . and wait for it. And –

‘Oh my god, thank you so much for not saying I had a good voice too!’

He laughs and removes his hand. ‘What? That doesn’t sound like a thing you’re meant to be happy about.’

‘Oh, I am. I really am. I know I suckat singing . . . anything, and if you’d gone and said that I had a good voice, then I’d find it hard to believe – even more than I already do – that you actually find me attractive.’

‘You have weird logic.’ He says. ‘But I like it. And . . . I definitely do find you attractive. Ada, you are so crazy gorgeous, it’s insane.’

‘Wow.’ I say, but it’s more like just a sound. ‘Clay, you really are something quite amazing.’

‘I'm glad you think so.’ He says, smiling boldly. ‘Certainly not something you get told every day.’

‘Seriously? Clay, you totally are. In every way. Stealing your earlier statement, it’s insane how gorgeous you are.’ Okay, well I definitely just said that out loud.

Honestly, this has got to stop.

‘Please let me kiss you.’ He says quietly, his eyes intent on the side of my face.

‘When we stop, by all means.’ I say, grinning. ‘But let’s change the topic now, so that I can concentrate on driving. Because as much as I’d like to do the same, I doubt it’s the greatest of ideas.’