Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

The morning after a party is never normally that great. Except today. I feel wide awake and ready for anything. (Probably because I didn’t actually drink anything, but, hey.) Very surprisingly I managed to fall asleep pretty quickly, turning my phone off and literally falling asleep the second my eyes were closed.

Although I’m awake, I’m not actually up. I’m normally pretty good at getting up in the morning, but this morning the bed just seems too comfortable. And I know that when I get out of bed I’ll have to start getting ready. And I don’t know what to wear; I haven’t been on any kind of date in a long, long time. And, when I was with Cole, we’d known each other so long before we got together, that he already knew how I dressed, so I never tried particularly hard to plan an outfit. But, for Clay, I would definitely like to, as I feel I kinda need to.

I desperately want to hear his voice, silky and deep. I could listen to him talk like I could music.  But, I now realise, after that whole evening with him, I can’t speak to him, as I never got his number. So now I can’t hear his voice until eleven. And what if he changes his mind? I’ll just be sitting here, waiting, and not knowing that he’s thought better of this whole thing and stayed at home. He may not even want my number.

But then, none of last night would have happened, would it? And we wouldn’t have a plan for today, would we? I switch on my phone, thinking that maybe, as if by some miracle, he’d managed to get hold of my number. Even if it was only to let me know that he didn’t want to see me today. I should stop thinking about things like this sometimes. It annoys me, but I can’t get my brain to switch off a lot of the time.

My phone buzzes quite a few times once everything has loaded up. Okay, so it’s not like I never get any messages, but I certainly never normally get this many. I leave it on the covers in front of me as it continues to buzz away at me, and wait.

I pick up the phone when it finally stops, and see one very long list of missed calls and messages. I have three missed calls from Idris, but then also, two missed calls from an unknown number and a huge list of messages from Cole. Really, Cole? Why was he trying to contact me?

I know I should probably be more worried about that, but I’m completely distracted by the unknown number, my heart begins to pound as my mind instantly jumps to the possibility of it being Clay trying to get hold of me, somehow managed to get hold of my number. I think I’d burst if that was the case.

I have to at least try to see whether it’s him, so I send a text. I wait for a few seconds after sending it; hoping that if it is Clay, he’d reply instantly. Nothing comes, so I send Idris a text to ask why he was trying to get hold of me last night, and then eventually start to look through the messages from Cole. I may as well go through them. When I begin reading, my mood from before begins to drop, dread of what the next one will say taking over.

There are almost twenty messages sent from him, all starting from around the time we saw him at the house. I am so crap with my cell, that I didn’t see any of them.

Why are you with Clay, Ada?

Has he told you?

No, he can’t have.

I stop on this one. What is he talking about? What is it I need to know about him? I don’t believe there is anything about him that could put me off. I don’t want to read on. I don’t want to find out anything from Cole, if it should come from Clay anyway. That is if he’s telling the truth. But I don’t want to risk it. I lock my phone and throw it back on the bed.