Chapter 23: Emerson

I wasn't surprised when Rose remained quiet through our introductions and asked to sit as soon as she could. We helped her to a seat at the head table where she could sit through dinner and then we both made sure to stay close to her as we greeted and chatted with various guests.

To say that I was proud of her was a huge understatement. Rose had fought through so much to be able to walk into that room at all, let alone face everyone without the wrap on. I wouldn't have been disappointed if she chose to wear it, however, I was happy to see she didn't. With the pride came the guilt. She conquered it almost completely on her own. Phalen did what he could, but he was the king, he was always busy. Liz could only do so much. And I had abandoned her for a month.

Forgiveness. She didn't seem to hold anything against me. Yet, I wasn't sure I deserved such blind forgiveness.

I promised myself that I would work to make it up to her, after the Ball.

In the beginning, no one dared to approach Rose. I'm sure she was grateful. Though I hated the idea of her being ignored. I stepped over and took off my jacket, flinging it over the back of my seat and then kissed the top of her head. "You doing alright?"

She nodded with a small smile. "I'll survive."

"That you will." I grinned. I could see Phalen roll his eyes at us. My brother was busy being diplomatic and talking with several alphas who had an issue with another alpha. It was all a stupid rivalry, and he was hoping to smooth ruffled fur.

But my attention was shifted as I heard some females gossiping away. "From what I hear, she's sleeping with both brothers. Can you believe that? Though neither want to mate her officially. I mean, could you imagine that scrawny little mess being the queen?"

"I shudder at the thought. I mean, she even shows off all of her bite marks. Who does that? Who lets every guy she's with leave their mark and then show off the tally?"

I was stunned. Is that what people were seriously saying? The lies, the accusations, the ridicule? I glanced down at Rose whose head and dropped and her fingers were reaching for the wrap I had left on the table.

Without thinking, I stopped her hand. "They are wrong. You know it. We all know it. Don't let them affect you. Please." I then linked one of my men and had them find out what pack the females were from. It only took a few minutes to get an answer. Silver Springs. That didn't surprise me. That pack was known for its twisted information stream. How anyone could believe half the crap that passed around that pack, I couldn't figure out. My eyes surveyed the room and I found the Silver Springs alpha and his mate. "Be right back. Phalen is right there and I won't be gone long." Rose nods and I set off.

My brother jumped in. "Leave it. I have this taken care of."

"How?"

"Trust me brother."

Fine. I'll let him deal with it for the moment. In the meantime, I had someone to talk to. Perhaps they could be a backup plan.

I approached the new alpha and luna of the Snowy Mountain pack. The new luna had been the first victim to bring Donovan's actions to royal attention. "Congratulations Alpha Aiden, Luna Evelyn. When last we were in Snowy Mountain, it seemed your father was going to remain alpha forever."

Aiden arched a brow. "Don't I know it, Your Highness." He gave a small nod of the head in submission to my title. "But once Evelyn and I announced that she carries our first pup..." He hand smoothed over her slightly rounded stomach and my eyes grew wide. The proud smile on the alpha's face was priceless. "Yeah, he realized we were coming into the hight of our strength together and it would benefit the pack."