Chapter Five

I release a contented sigh as I lie on the king sized bed in my former home's guest bedroom. The sunlight pours through the curtains, soft, gentle May light. The snow melted a few weeks ago, and the grass is now hesitantly poking its way up towards the sun. A bird sings outside my window, a pretty, haunting song that calls me up to the window. Flinging the curtains open, I laugh at the way the sunlight makes my skin glow. I never noticed before. A robin jumps at the sudden movement, and I smile in acknowledgment. She jumps skittishly back, making a cry as if for help.

"Sorry," I whisper, trying not to scare her again. It seems to work, and she hops forward. I try not to breathe as she comes right up to the glass. "Hello, Mrs Robin. How are you today?" To my delight, she chirps happily, then cocks her  head, as if asking me. "I'm wonderful! I'm going to be married. To the crown prince! I'll be queen!" She hops away again as I raise my voice, so I lower it to a whisper. 

"I'll be gone from here. Forever. I think I..." I pause, not wanting to sound silly. Last night, I know I had doubts, but Heracles's mother told me what to expect and I want that for myself. "I think I might love Heracles." I know it sounds stupid and rushed, but we are going to be married. He seems nice. And he told me he loved me. It's not like I'm being so forward. He feels the same way - not only that, but he told me, too. And we are engaged.

I remember how he danced with me, showing me off for all to see, proud of me, while still treating me like delicate china. I remember how my heart raced when he kissed me. How the world seemed to spin around us, and yet was still at the same time. For once, I felt special, like I mattered. I hadn't even realised that feeling was missing. He makes me feel full - an entire person. Important. Not just because of my newly found status, though that's exciting, too. But because of who I am. I had always regarded love as silly - for girls in faerie tales and such, not for people. Oh, how wrong I was.

Tonight, I'll be in the palace. It's formality to stay here for one final night, though I realise it must be past lunch by now. Heracles told me that if he could, he would have begged me to stay. Forever. He stayed, watching the carriage, until it was a speck in the distance. Adelaide and Aemilia have been much nicer. Well - I suppose they have to be. But it seems genuine. Not forced. Maybe they didn't mean to be so cruel. Ermelina has been... pitying, almost. There had been a few moments where it had seemed... almost as if she wanted to tell her something, but hadn't known how. I would have wondered more about it, but I have so much else on my mind...

Stepping away from the mirror, I pick out a dress of pale gold from the ones Mother used to have. I can't remember her ever wearing anything like that, but she must have when she was younger. It's not as stunning as the one I wore to the ball, and a little out of fashion, but it will do. Once I get to the palace, I'll get a whole new wardrobe, with whatever I want. Satin, silk... anything I want. It doesn't matter that this one is... faded. 

Turning to face the mirror, I pick up the hairbrush, ready to pin my hair up, in the way all girls who are married or engaged do. Then freeze. As my scream cuts the air like broken glass, the whole house comes running.