I'm what?!

When I woke up the next morning I was tucked beneath the covers of the bed I slept on. The air around me was surprisingly chili, even though it was the middle of summer.

I got up and felt everything spinning. Oh no I thought. I hated whenever that happened to me. Being dizzy.

I collapsed back on the bed and hid my face in the pillow. I groaned and then my tummy rumbled. It was something I was used to but then I smelled pancakes and the sweet scent of syrup.

I got back on my fee and slowly walked to the door, but I quickly fell down on my knees.

I heard footsteps and my instincts kicked in quickly. I tried to move back as I pictured Jenna with her whip.

“Hey it’s just me” he said.

I forced myself to look up and then I saw Hayden leaning down with a concerned look on his face. He put one arm under my knees and one arm behind my back. He slowly lifted me up. I quickly put my arms around my neck and then I buried my head in his shoulder.

“Sorry. I actually thought you were Jenna” I whispered.

“They won’t come close to you. You’re safe here. Trust me. You do trust me don’t you?” he asked softly, his lips were brushing my ear and that movement sent my heart racing. It felt like it wanted to beat itself out of my chest. And to make it worse I was standing so close to him that he could hear my heart beating franticly against my chest. I knew he could both feel it and hear it.

“Yes” I answered him.

Hayden carried me down the stairs and sat me down in a chair in front of the kitchen table. As   smelled, he had cooked pancakes. My eyes widened at the mountain full plates. He placed one in front of me. When I looked up at him he was smiling.

“You better eat quickly before you pass out” he said tilting his head at the food.

I was shocked by the offer. “For me? No one has offered me food in a long while. Wow. Thank you. Thank you so much.”

Actual tears sprang in my eyes. And he was full of worry. “Did I do something wrong?” he asked.

“Wrong? Nothing wrong. It’s just….. I mean look at this food! I haven’t seen so much food in what seems eternity!”

He relaxed and smiled then brushed my hair back.

Instead of eating I stared at the food in awe. My expression was like I just saw the food talk. Hayden laughed.

I looked at him confused.

“Sorry”, he said. “But it’s so adorable the way you look at food. But I think it’s better if you eat it before the pancakes become plastic!” I smiled at him gratefully then nodded and started eating. Taking mouthfuls of pancakes.

He sat next to me and started eating too. After his first swallow he started talking. Telling me about immortality and teleportation. They started sinking in slowly but I got used to it quickly.

Then I chocked on a pancake at the words that came out of his mouth.

“I AM WHAT?!?!”I asked as I coughed on my pancake. He started patting me on the back so that the pancake would come out of my windpipe. When it did I swallowed hard and looked at him with utter shock on my face.

I took a deep breath and said “come again?”

“If you are the key to a treasure that it’ll take anyone to the ruling of the world, then you’re immortal. You might ask yourself how do I know and the answer is that my grandfather used to study ways how to protect the key. He used to tell me ‘my dear child, there will be the day where the key will be revealed and the daemons will strike. I won’t be alive, but you will, and you need to protect her, forever. She’s forever in danger because she’ll be immortal, just like you. You will probably l-’”

He cut off his words. “You’ll probably what?” I asked.

“Nothing” he said quickly, and then said, “So you see? You are immoral, and I’m destined to protect you.”

The answer to that was not a frown, a disappointment, a shock or a gasp.

It was my racing heart, which was extremely happy that he’ll be there. That I’ll have him close to me.

For a really long time ……