chapter 57

blindside aquilo

Sebastian

Today, I felt my heart break into a million pieces. Today, the doctors decided to stop giving my best friend the medication she takes to keep her alive. Since she's in so much pain, they find it unfair to keep her in that pain if they can't do anything about it.

Since they stopped her medication, that would mean she wouldn't have long until she, well... died. They wouldn't let me see her for a few days, not even an explanation.

Today, however, I received a call.

"Sebastian! Sebastian."

"What? Denessy what's going on?" I said into my phone, already getting on my jacket.

"I don't know. I don't know what's happening but it's bad. Just get to the hospital. You might want to bring your brother and call Gus."

"Okay. I'll be there soon."

I took deep breaths as I used the phone to call Gus. Adam was rushing downstairs with his pants barely on.

"Let's go. Let's go! Sebby what are you doing?" He asked frantically. He put his coat on and ran out to the car.

"Gus, something's wrong with Luna. Can you come to the hospital?"

"Yes, of course, I'll be there as soon as I can."

I ran out the door and got in the car. Adam didn't look at me, he just sat and bit his lip, his foot tapping. Luna was like a sister to him, and he already lost one. I can't imagine what he's going to go through when she dies.

What am I going to go through?

It took us about half an hour to reach the hospital, traffic was killer. Adam and I ran inside and met up with Will at the doors. He didn't say anything, we just followed behind him to Luna's room.

When we got there, the doctor stopped us before we could open the door.

"I need to talk to you before you can go in. Are they allowed to know as well?" He asked Will. He nodded and so the doctor continued, folding his arms.

"Luna's heart is failing. She is having a hard time staying awake or even talking. We think she's closer to the end than we thought. So maybe just say your goodbyes now, because I don't think she will be with us much longer." The doctor patted Will on the shoulder and gave a sympathetic look before walking away.

"Let me see her first," Will said, "I just need like ten minutes with my daughter and wife."

I nodded and wrapped my arm around Adam as we sat down against the wall. I crossed my legs and Adam pulled his knees to his chest, resting his head on his knees.

This happened so fast. After they stopped her medication, she was sicker, but not like this. I was only gone for a week. How could this happen in a week?

"Luna isn't going to die. I know she won't die," Adam said quietly.

"Adam. She's dying. If you don't accept it, it's going to be harder when she does. "

"You can believe whatever you want, Sebby."

I watched as Gus ran down the hall and stood in front of me, panting.

"Is she okay?" He asked.

"No. The doctor just told us he doesn't know when, but it's soon. Her parents are in there saying goodbye," I said.

Gus sat down next to me and rested his head against the wall.

"You should go last, Sebastian," he said.

"You think?"

"Yeah. I'll go in with Adam. Then you can be alone with her for a while."

I nodded and stared at the big, grey door.

Her parents took longer than ten minutes, but I wasn't mad. Their only daughter was dying. I wouldn't even want to leave the room.

They eventually came out, their eyes bloodshot, even Will's. He held Denessy by her arms and sat down on the floor.

Adam and Gus went in, Gus patting him on the head. I breathed in deeply and waited for my turn.

This was all so messed up. So bizarre. I had to say goodbye to my best friend.

 I had to say goodbye to my best friend