Chapter 21- When Will This End?

Natalie POV:

It's chemo day, round two. I'm already exhausted and we aren't even at the hospital yet. I really hope this is the last round of chemo, I don't think I can handle it anymore.

"Nat? Is everything okay?" Will asks as we drive towards the hospital.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm just nervous."

"About what?"

"I just want this to be done. I don't think I can handle another round of chemo."

"Hey, it's okay. And Dr. Hansen even said that you were getting better."

"I know, but we both know anything could change."

"We can't think like that, we just have to hope for the best. You of all people know that."

"Yeah, I guess..." I say before looking back out the window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, Dr. Manning, you know the drill. This round will, however, be split into two sections. One two hour section today, and then a long, and aggressive five hour section tomorrow. Are you ready to get started?" Dr. Hansen asked once I was all situated.

"I... I guess? But may I ask why we're doing two different sections?"

"Well, considering you're scans showed improvements I want to try and cure your cancer by doing the two rounds. It works for most patients, so I'm hopeful that this will work!"

"Oh, um, ok."

She gets me hooked up to the chemo, gives me one last smile before leaving the room. I look over at Will and I notice a single tear on his cheek.

"Will? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I... I just hate seeing you like this."

"I know, but hey there's a chance this will be the last time!"

"You're right, but let's take this one step at a time, alright?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea..." I say before I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Natalie? Nat, it's time to get up." I hear Will saying.

I slowly open my eyes and realize that I already finished the chemo.

"When did I finish?"

"A few minutes ago, they said I had to wake you up so they could see if you have any side effects."

I nod my head and slowly sit up in my bed. But as soon as I do that I start feeling nauseous.

"Will...?"

"Yeah? What's wrong?"

"Bucket."

He quickly hands me the bucket and I immediately throw up. He rubs soothing circles on my back while holding my hair back.

A few minutes later I finally finish and I lean into Will's side. He brushes some of my hair from my face and helps me lie back down.

"I'm gonna go get Dr. Hansen, alright?"

I slowly nod my head. He gives me a quick kiss before leaving to go find Dr. Hansen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So considering you're already having side affects I would like to keep you over night, and start the more aggressive course as soon as you wake up. I won't wake you, especially considering sleep fights cancer."

"Okay, is the aggressive round my last round?" I say hoping that the answer was yes.

"Well, we won't know that until we do some scans, but most likely the answer is yes."

I look over at Will and he looks thrilled. I slowly sit up and kiss him, he gratefully kisses me back. Then something totally unexpected happens.

He kneels next to my bed and pulls out a ring.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AN: I really hope you guys enjoyed that chapter!! I'm really sorry for not updating sooner, school has been insane. I'm trying to get much better at this, and I may have found a time to write, almost every day regardless of how much homework I get.
Disclaimers:
"sleep fights cancer"- John Green, The Fault In Our Stars
"Hansen"- Steven Levenson, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Dear Evan Hansen
And my usual one- all characters belong to Dick Wolf.

Sorry, I'm rereading The Fault In Our Stars, and I'm currently listening to Sincerely Me from Dear Evan Hansen. Anyway, have a great day/night! 😘