Poseidon

After the Titan Lord Cronus was deposed, the three most powerful siblings drew dice to divide the empire. Zeus, the youngest, won — and chose the sky. Poseidon smiled to himself because the sky was empty, and he knew that the impulsive Zeus had chosen it because it looked so high. 

And now, he, Poseidon, could choose as he would have done if he had won. He chose the sea. He had always wanted it, it is the best place for adventures and secrets, and makes claim on land.   

Hades, who was always unlucky, had to take the underworld. The earth was held as a commonwealth, and left to the Olympian goddesses to manage.   

"Very well, my dear brother and sisters," Poseidon said. "I'm satisfied with the result and have no desire to discuss any further matter. The sea kingdom awaits me, therefore I must go now and bid you all farewell."

With that said, he thrust his great trident on the floor and light exploded, swiping around him as he flew off from Olympus and plunged straight into the sea. 

Poseidon came to his new kingdom with high spirit. He immediately set about building a huge underwater palace with humongous crystal rocks. There he ordered a great throne made of pearls and coral to be fashioned for him. 

After the massive amount of work had been done and the god was crowned, King of the Sea, Poseidon needed a queen.

Among the maidens that dwelled in his prosperous region, none was more beautiful than Thetis, a beautiful Nereid, the water nymph, known as the goddess of water, one of the fifty daughters of the ancient sea god Nereus. 

Even Zeus was showing his desire for her, so Poseidon chose Thetis. But later, when Themis, the ancient titaness and goddess of Justice, said:

"Lord of the Sea, heed my words. Thetis's offspring shall be born greater than his sire, and Thetis shall indeed bear a son."

After it was prophesied so, the gods were fearful, knowing Thetis was destined to bear a son who would be mightier than his father. They were reminded of the old prophesy passing down from their father Cronus, and the two gods gave the maiden up to another mortal king, whom she bore a son named Achilles. 

Poseidon decided to try elsewhere.

He chose another Nereid named Amphitrite. Together they ruled the underwater kingdom, lavishing in its immense wealth and mysteries.

But like his brother Zeus, the sea god was a great traveler, and had hundreds of children in different coastal places.

He was handsome but also a very difficult god, changeful and hostle. Although he did bear grudges, he could be pleased, and then his smile was radiant. He liked jokes, and thought up very curious forms for his sea creatures. Poseidon liked to startle nymphs with monsters, and concocted the octopus, the squid, the jellyfish, the sea-polyp, the seahorse, the swordfish, blowfish, sea cow, and many others. 

Once, trying to appease Amphitrite's jealous rage, he thought up the dolphin, and gave it to her as a gift. The sea queen was pleased then he continued to make more and harnessed them on his chariot.

He was greedy and aggressive, always trying to add to his kingdom. Once, he claimed Attica as his own, and stabbed his trident into the hillside where the Acropolis still stands, and a spring of salt water sprouted. He shook the mountains and created new faults in the earth. This much was his power.

Poseidon was very fond of Demeter, and pursued her hotly whenever he thought about it. He cornered her, finally, one hot afternoon in a mountain pass, and demanded that she love him. She didn't know what to do — he was so huge, so implacable, so persistent. 

Finally, Demeter said, "Give me a gift. You have made creatures for the sea; now make me a land animal. But a beautiful one, the most beautiful ever seen."

She thought she was safe, because she believed he could make only monsters.

The next time they met, she was amazed when he made her a horse, and gasped with delight when she saw it. And Poseidon was so struck by his own handiwork that he swiftly made a herd of horses that began to gallop about the meadow, tossing their heads, flirting their tails, kicking up their back legs, and neighing joyously. The sea god was so fascinated by the horses that he forgot all about Demeter, and leaped on one and rode off. 

Later he made another herd of green ones with the fish-like tails for his undersea stables. But Demeter kept the first herd, from that all the horses in the world have descended.

Some say it took Poseidon a full week to make the horse. During that time he made and cast aside many other creatures that didn't come out right. But he simply threw them away without killing them, and they made their way into the world later. From them have come the camel, the hippopotamus, the giraffe, the donkey, and the zebra.

Poseidon was a powerful god and many people feared his wrath, especially the seafarers and all cities by the shore.