Chapter 9: The Invitation

Day after day went by in the same fashion, and night after night. Psyche lived her solitude life as she went singing and dancing from room to room, entertaining herself. The great pile of stone was filled with the sound of her lovely voice.

At the end of the day, the mortal maiden returned to her chamber. Her meal was served by the same invisible attendants. She again bathed and anointed herself with perfume, waiting for her beloved partner.

When the night was well advanced, a genial sound met her ears. Cupid had come to make love to her, and the maiden embraced the goddess with longing arms. Psyche began to enjoy herself and her enigmatic lover with more excitement.

This life in the course of nature became delightful to Psyche as she grew accustomed to it. Hearing that soothing golden voice every night consoled her lonely heart. And each time before loving-making, Cupid would ask her wife kindly, "Are you happy, love of my heart? Have you any wish I can make true?"

"No, love, nothing I long for. Only yourself," Psyche whispered as she clung to those shapely forms.

"That you shall have."

"May I see the beauty I hold in my arms, too?" she asked, hopeful.

"One day, of course, but not yet. It is not time."

"Whatever you say, dear heart," Psyche said in a resigned voice. "But then can you not stay with me by day as well, invisible or not? Why must you visit me only at night?"

"That too shall change, perhaps. But not yet, my handsome maiden. It is too soon for you."

"But the day grows so long without you," the mortal girl breathed. "I wait for nightfall, but it seems the sun take too long to set, and I feel as if the night will never come."

"I can assure you that I feel the same torment, even far more intense when I have to depart," Cupid said mournfully. "Now if you pity me, give me your sweet lips and I shall be content."

Then the daughter of Venus reclined herself beside her lovely wife, searching every pleasurable place she could find with her beloved. These visits continued over a long period without any disturbance.

Meanwhile, Psyche's parents were aging in unceasing grief and melancholy, and the rumors of hunters hearing the singing voices spread wide from a distant gloomy hill. Some said it was the ghost of their former princess. Some said that she was still alive and living with the monster there.

Her elder sisters learned about it and vied with each other in haste leaving home and making their way for their parents, to see them and discuss the matter with them.

Cupid, of course, heard all their silly theories as she flew over and across worlds doing her mother's bidding.

That night Cupid said to her wedded lover: "Sweetest Psyche, fond wife of mine, the fate grows savage with me and threatens you with mortal danger. I implore you to show greater carefulness. Your sisters are worried about the rumor that you are dead, and presently they will come to this rock, seeking for traces of you. Should you chance to hear their cries of grief, you are not to respond, or even to set eyes upon them. Otherwise, you will cause me the greatest misery, and bring utter destruction on your lovely self."

It sent a tremor through Psyche's heart. Her face turned pale with worries and sadness, but she promised to follow her beloved's guidance.

After the golden-winged Cupid had vanished before the sun climbed over the mountain range, the poor girl spent the whole day crying and beating her breast.

It wasn't long afterward that her elder sisters came about the location of the mountain rock where their youngest sister had been abandoned. They quickly made their way up the hill. There they cried for their sister until the rocks echoed equally loudly with their loud lamentations.