Chapter 8 ~ How Convenient

“Yes, I am from North Korea. Back off of me or I’ll tell the men in my country to come and destroy you all. You and Yae Jun and everyone else in this damned country!”

They all cowered, which made me smile. They understand their inferiority to my nationality.

“Yah! That’s not even something you can joke about!” one of the guys said.

I laughed. “You think I’m joking? You think I’m faking my dialect? Why the hell did you think I didn’t talk? Why do you think I was so desperate to get out of the police station that I resorted to saying you were my big brother.”

“Spy!” one of them screamed.

“No, not a spy. Just an unfortunate soul.”

“Take her back to the police station!” one of them suggested.

“Weren’t you already at the police station claiming you were my big brother. The won’t be very favorable to you!”

“Crazy North Korean!” one guy charged at me and began suffocating me. “Your people killed my grandfather!”

I laughed. “Your people killed my grandfather, my uncle, and my close friend. So you have no right to judge me. Suffocate me. I’ve been trying to die for the past 24 hours.”

He let me go. Everyone else backed off of me, as if they expected me to take out my nuclear weapons and kill them. I took advantage of that moment and began wearing my clothes. “Let me get out of this hell of an apartment, and let me finally kill myself without any interruption.”

When none of them replied, I simply walked out. I thought that was strange.

Literally two minutes after I was out of that apartment, thinking of ways to commit suicide, I saw the police come my way. Did the guys really call the police here so soon? I didn’t care that the police would catch me. I really did not. So I stopped and waited for the police officer to exit his car.

“Cha Sal-shi (remember, chasal = suicide in Korean). Yae Jun told us you’d be here. Have you been raped? Where are the guys?”

I smirked. How convenient. I led the police towards the apartment and one by one, I saw them being handcuffed. I hid from their view. I heard them say, “that girl is a friggin North Korean!” but the police didn’t believe them.

Then I heard, “tell Yae Jun he’s never getting his file…”

When the police car took them away, one policeman bowed to me and apologized. “Cha Sal-shi, please forgive us. We’ve been searching for this group of guys for a very long time. They have raped numerous women and have stolen a lot of money, thank you for helping us bring justice to Ulleungdo.”

I bowed back to him. We had that bowing custom in North Korea, I didn’t know that South Korea practiced it as well. It was nice to be able to do something I was familiar with, it brought back a feeling of nostalgia to my years in North Korea.

“Cha Sal-shi, Yae Jun has requested you come meet him in the hospital. His condition is quite serious. Would you like us to take you there?”

For some strange reason, I was saddened by the fact that Yae Jun’s condition was serious. Maybe it was because he saved me and so I felt guilty. Maybe I agreed to go with the police officer because I wanted to ride a car again. Maybe that was just something I was telling myself in order to deny my somewhat positive feelings for Yae Jun. I thought I hated him after he sold me off like that but…

I got in the car, and felt the adrenaline rush again. It felt fantastic.

Then we finally got to the hospital. I stepped out of the car and followed the police officer through the hospital, which was surprisingly huge. We went through numerous corridors and up several elevators until the police finally took me through a door.

“Cha Sal-shi is here,” said the police officer bowing, and then he left. I entered the room and saw Yae Jun with a bandaged head looking pale and weak. Sitting on chairs next to his bed, was an old lady.

Yae Jun eyed me penetratingly before saying, “Ya Ri, this is my mom.” He then turned his head to his mother and said, “Mom, this is my girlfriend.”

I really appreciate comments, and so I would love it if I recieved some, thanks! :)