38. summer vacation - richie tozier

Requested?:
Yes: [✔️] ; by @byerstozier
No: []

Song?: No

Science class, eighth period, started at 2:00 and ended the day at 3:00. And it was the best part of the day, for Jade at least. Why? Because it was the only class she shared with her crush, Richie Tozier. Mike Hanlon and Beverly Marsh always teased her about this class, because they were the only people who knew about her crush on him, because they were her best friends.

Jade always liked science, but Richie being in her class sure did help, especially she could admire him from afar, considering he sat on the other side of the room. The only problem with that, however, was that it didn't give Jade any time to really talk to Richie. Sure, she had talked to him a few times, but not enough, in her opinion.

On the last day of school before summer break, Jade found herself sitting in science class, before the second bell rang, doing something she never thought possible: doubting her crush on Richie. Was it really a crush? Or just an infatuation? Did she only think he was attractive? Or was it more than that? The thoughts were running through her head.

While she was absorbed in her thoughts, she missed the second bell going off, and the teacher proceeded to tell the class that since it was the last day of school, they could sit wherever they'd like. The class smiled and let out a few cheers, all while separating to go sit with their friends.

Richie Tozier scanned the room with his chocolate eyes, before they fell upon Jade. She sat by herself in the back, the seat next to her empty. He had always thought she was nice, and she always gave him a smile if their eyes met in the hallway. However, the brown-haired girl had a blank expression on her face, looking down at the floor by her feet. He stood up, grabbing his bag and walked over to her, "Can I sit here?" he pointed to the empty chair.

Jade lifted her green eyes and became flustered. "Oh, yeah, um, sure," she stuttered, nodding slowly. Richie laughed, plopping down next to her. She tried to hide her blush behind her hair. Throughout the whole class, Richie leaned over and whispered with her, making her laugh and forget about her doubts.

When the bell rang, Jade didn't want this to end. It was perfect, like everything she'd ever dreamt it'd be. So, she decided to be bold, "Do you wanna walk to my locker with me?" she asked.

Richie didn't answer for a moment, his eyes lifting from his bag, and Jade cursed herself mentally. That was a stupid thing to ask, wasn't it? "Sure," Richie gave her a bright smile, tossing his backpack over his shoulder.

Jade and Richie walked out of the classroom, starting towards the girl's locker. The Losers Club, minus Mike, was waiting a few doors down. Jade sighed, knowing Richie would join his friends. She gave the six kids a smile, since she had talked to them before, and considered them friends, though none of them were really close to her, except Beverly.

The girl continued to her locker, but turned slightly when she heard someone talk. "Excited for summer?" It was Richie.

She opened her mouth to talk, but no words came out for a minute. She tilted her head, "Oh, yeah, of course. I mean, who isn't?" she laughed, reaching her locker and pulling the door open.

"What?" Richie chuckled. Jade glanced at him and gave him a questioning look. "Why'd you look so surprised when I asked you that question?" he rephrased.

"Oh," Jade blushed, "No reason." She grabbed all the books from her locker, shoving them into her backpack. Richie pushed her on the topic. "Okay, this is going to sound really stupid," she sighed, "I thought you were going to leave and stay with your friends, so it just surprised me that you didn't."

Richie shook his head, laughing. "No," he smiled. "I said I was gonna walk with you." This caused Jade to turn a bright red. "Besides, I wouldn't want to hang out with those annoying dipshits anyway," he said, though Jade knew he was joking. "Wanna go outside?"

Jade nodded, and they headed out the front doors. She didn't want to keep him from his friends any longer. "Bye, Richie," she waved. "Maybe I'll see you around this summer?" The boy nodded, and Jade turned, starting the walk to her house.

~

The house was loud, filled with music and teenagers having to shout to hear their friends. Parties weren't usually Jade's thing, but Beverly had wanted her to come, so she gave in. She didn't know what to wear so she had gone with a black skirt and a light gray shirt tucked in with her converse. Simple.

When she walked in, she was immediately hugged by Beverly, who whispered in her ear. "Guess who's here?" Jade looked at her questioningly, and the redhead wiggled her eyebrows, causing Jade to know immediately who it was. Richie was here. "You should go find him!"

"I don't think that's a great idea," Jade admitted. "He probably forgot my name by now," she added, and before she could say anything else, she was interrupted by Richie coming over to them.

He smiled at them. "Hey," he greeted. Jade waved, and Beverly did the same. "When did you get here?" he asked Jade.

"Oh," she said, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Just now. How about you?"

Richie shrugged. "Since it started," he laughed. "This is my house." Jade went red, and he playfully nudged her. "Just kidding. I've been here for about twenty minutes."

"Richie Tozier, you scared me!" she shoved his shoulder, while he continued to laugh. "I felt so stupid." She crossed her arms, glaring at him, though she didn't mean it.

Beverly smirked, knowing that this was going somewhere. "I'm gonna go get a soda. I'll be right back," she excused herself, leaving Richie and Jade alone. Jade narrowed her eyes at the girl disappearing. She knew she wouldn't be back anytime soon.

The two continued to talk, and after about an hour, the girl was holding her sides from laughing so hard. "I can't breathe," she huffed out somehow. Richie had to sit down against the wall to stop laughing, and he grabbed her arm and pulled her down with him. "Richie, what are you-," he didn't let her finish. Instead, he placed his lips on hers lightly. When he pulled away, Jade asked, "What was that for?"

Richie smiled, looking down. "It just felt right," he said quietly. And it didn't just feel right. It felt perfect, like nothing he'd ever felt before. And so, he did it again.