Second Generation Kira [A Death Note Fanfic]

I do not own Death Note, but the OC characters are all mine :D

[*]~[*]~[*]~[*]~[*]~[*]

"Natsu, that is wrong!" I growled ferociously at the buff boy who was persuading a younger boy to go and steal something for him. He sneered at me as I approached the two and put my hand on the younger ones shoulder protectively. "I hope you know that this could ruin not only your future, but this little boy's too! Think before you do such idiotic things." I hissed to him, hoping an evil glint in my eyes would scare some sense into him.

I kneeled down next to the young boy, probably about six or seven years old, as Natsu watched, frozen. "What's your name?" I smiled and sweetly asked him. He mumbled out a small reply, 'Daisuke', and hung head low in shame. Wet marks were beginning to form on his teal sweater, and his nose turned to a rosy red color. "Daisuke, it's not your fault, if anything it's this meanies. Don't do bad things, or they'll come right back at ya."

As I stood back up to face Natsu, his courage seemed to slowly build. "Well what are you going to do about it, Orphan Girl Emiko?" He smirked at me.

I faltered for a bit before I brought my right hand up to his round face and slapped him as hard as I could. Usually it would only pester me a bit if someone called me Orphan Girl Emiko, it was a name I got paired with when I first started school, but after you mess with other people like that?

"I hope that brought you back to reality! There are consequences! Think a bit before you act. Come on, Daisuke, let's go walk you back home so I can explain some things to your mother." I harshly told Natsu, and then calmly said to the young boy. He reached his hand up to mine and I grasped it tightly in mine. This kid would be stuck with this memory for a long time, I hope I said the right things and got the right idea lodged in his brain.

Together we walked away towards his house, the boy leading the way, leaving Natsu and his red bike leaning up against the department stores brick wall alone. I couldn't help but feel bad for him, but people who's brains had become that rotten needed to be scolded.

I looked at the 7 year old boy who had suddenly stopped on the sidewalk next to a few bushes with sweet smelling purple flowers. He wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his blazer, and looked up at me, his dark brown eyes brimming with more tears. I crouched down to his eye level and looked up at him concernedly.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" I frowned, tilting my head and gazing into his eyes.

He shook his head and sniffed. "No, but I'm scared I might have done it." he said in a high pitched little boy voice, which was layered with the effects of his crying.

"Daisuke, I know you are a good kid, that's why it took so long for him I finally get to you. Don't worry, you're strong, " I smiled at him. "Come on, we don't want your mother to worry about you."

He continued to walk with me towing behind as we made our way to what he said to be his neighborhood. The houses were big and there were fancy cars of all makes in every driveway. Daisuke led me up to a two storied house with a dark blue Corvette parked in the open garage and a nice, new looking black roof and coffee brown siding.

Out of my thoughts I heard the sharp rap of knuckles being tapped on the front door. Momentarily, a tall, slim woman opened the door and ushered Daisuke inside, then turned her attention to me. "Why exactly are you here with my son? Who are you? How old are you?" she shrilly squawked at me, the loose strands of hair in her black bun placed atop her head quivered as she spoke.

"Er, my name's-" I began, looking down at my feet until she cut me off.

"Don't mumble and look me in the eye when you're speaking." she instructed me.

I sighed. "Yes, Ma'am. My name is Emiko Yagami, I'm 15, and I walked your son home because there was someone trying to get him to steal, and I told the bully off and accompanied him to your home so he would feel a bit more comfortable."

She glanced behind her back at her son who was snacking on an apple and scribbling on a piece of paper. "I'm Rini, thank you for keeping my son safe and out of trouble.." she said with a hand outstretched. I gripped it and shook her hand, smiling at her.

"It was no problem, Rini," I took my hands from hers and bowed slightly. "I need to go, my grandmother is probably wondering about me."

She nodded curtly. "Stay out of trouble though, Missy!" Rini called after me I her bird-like voice and slammed the door as I walked away from the door and made my way towards Grandmother's house.

Sooner than originally planned I was knocking on the front door of my house. Within seconds, Grandma Sachiko answered the door and let me in. I greeted her and walked upstairs into my room, which, ironically, had been my father's when he lived here.

Everything in the room had originally been my Dad's, with the exception of the things I personally owned. The bed, the desk, the books, everything is something my Dad once used, which could be both interesting, and a bit creepy. When I was younger I used to have a fear of sleeping in the bed of a dead persons, but I soon got over it when Grandma caught me sleeping in Sayu's bed and locked me in my room at night.

I set my book bag on the desk and pulled out my math homework, simple fractions. Mentally I rolled my eyes. Shouldn't tenth graders homework be a bit harder? And I was getting the advanced homework. Grandma says I get my brains from my father, Light, and that he was Japan's best student. She also says I get my love for solving crimes and such from him, because he was a detective once, along with Grandpa.

Grandma also said I got my looks from my mother, whom I barely remember. My topaz eyes and partially blonde hair had been inherited from her as well, and that was pretty much it. I was told I resembled my dad all too much; focused eyes, coppery hair, charismatic. Too bad I never met him. He seemed like an interesting guy. Aunt Sayu also told me I was really pretty, which had apparently been a trait I got from both of my parents.

According to Sayu's husband Matsuda, who always seemed to let things slip a but earlier than intended, Mom committed suicide after Dad was killed. I'd never known Dad, but I'd seen pictures. He was 23 and Mom was 24 when they died, which really shocks you and gets you thinking that you'll never know how long you'll live.