Stranger

Sayu and Matsuda had left ages ago, and Grandma had gone to sleep. Now I had the house to myself for a while, as long as I was quiet.

As I walked into tha family room, the clock sitting on the wall chimed 2 o'clock in the morning. I mentally frowned to myself. How could I stay at the top of my class if I didn't get enough rest?

Ever since dinner I'd had the sense that someone was watching me closely. Even though I knew there wasn't a way for that to be possible, Grandma or I probably would have found out a long time ago.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, grabbing a carton of red grapes and a small bowl to put them in. My eyelids were starting to droop and my balance wasn't very trustworthy. Before I could fall I put the grapes in the fridge and stumbled over to the couch where I almost immediately passed out. It took a few minutes, but I did eventually fall soundly asleep, despite the odd feeling.

[#]#[#]#[#]

I woke up to a coughing fit, and a dark grey fleece blanket tucked around my shoulders and trailing a few inches after my feet. What about school? My tangled hair whipped around me as I turned towards the clock. 10:15.

"Sachiko!" I cried from the couch.

"Grandma," she corrected. "And yes, Emiko?"

My mouth gaped open. Did she not see how late I was? "School! I need to go today!"

She sighed. "You were coughing like a maniac last night, there's no way I can let you go to school," she checked the wall clock for the time.

I groaned and fell back onto the couch, then pulled the covers up.

"I need to get going. I'll be back in about and hour, maybe two at the most. You can take care of yourself, right?"

"Yeah, I'll probably be sleeping the entire time anyway." I grumbled and turned around on the sofa.

She smiled and left with a "Bye, sweetie.", then slammed the door shut without another word.

My mother would have taken us out shopping. I was sick a lot as a toddler, so I would know. We'd go to the mall and buy some expensive clothes or accessories, get my ears pierced, have my hair done. She'd really try to make me feel better, but not like most moms would.

Sometimes she'd tell me tall tales about my dad. Like how he worked with L to catch Kira. It was all stuff she would make up to feel better herself. But he said it so often, it almost seemed like maybe he did.

In History class, we discussed Kira a lot more than one would think acceptable for a school. Someone would ask about Kira's reasoning or stupidity, and we would always get into this hour long topic of whether or not Kira was good or bad. I never spoke my opinion on him, or her, because no one else thought he was great, or a legend, a god.

I sighed and stood up, my stomach was killing me. As I shuffled into the kitchen, I thought I heard a small thud in the living room, something light must've fell.

From the fridge I grabbed a giant red delicious apple and took a single bite out of it as I walked into the living room. I chewed on the piece of fruit inside my mouth as I scanned the room for what fell. There wasn't anything on the ground, and it didn't sound like anything broke. I grabbed the remote from the coffee table and turned on the TV, and I found myself watching an old sitcom.

This'll have to do. I sighed to myself then sat down, my legs curled up on the couch and the blanket shawled over them. My right foot was resting on something hard. I moved around, adjusting the blankets and found that my foot was sitting on a small, black, school notebook.

I didn't recall ever having a notebook like this, I picked it up and flipped through it, and there were a few pages of black in the begining scrawled with messy white letters. Skipping those for now, I went to the white pages and found nothing to be written on them. I flipped back to the first few pages and read the first line on the first page, unfortunately in English.

-The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

-This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

-If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.

-If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.

-After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

"What kind of sick joke is this?" I said, disgusted with the book.

I stood and walked over to the kitchen door, but found a dark, humanoid skeletal figure blocking my way.

The dark figure chuckled. "Well, it seems I've dropped my Death Note."