one

brandon's perspective

My alarm rang and woke me at 5:45am, like every morning. I rolled over towards my bedside table, and twisted open my pill bottle. I dumped two into my hands, and dry-swallowed them. I hopped out of bed, slid on some blue jeans and a t-shirt, and walked down the steps. I bumped into Callie on the way down.

I rubbed my eyes, "Morning, Callie." I said, smiling.

She ruffled up her hair, "Morning, Brandon." She replied. We both went into the kitchen, and surprisingly there was no one else down here yet. Normally, everyone rushes to get to the food and hot water first. 

Callie went over to the pantry, pulling out a bag of bagels, "Want one?" She asked, pulling out tow bagels from the bag. 

I nodded, "Of course. How can you deny a fresh bagel?" I said. I got up and grabbed the milk from the fridge, pouring two glasses.

Callie bit her lip, "I don't know how fresh...a day over expiration." She joked, slicing them and putting them in the toaster. She sat down next to me, and I handed her the glass of milk I poured. "Thanks." She mumbled. 

I sipped my milk, "Any time." I replied.

Callie giggled a little, "You have a little something...here," she said, wiping my upper lip with her finger, "...much better." She laughed, and I rolled my eyes. My cheeks began to warm up.

I sighed, "Thank you." I said. She smiled, looking down into her glass of milk.

Callie furrowed her brows, "Did you take your meds this morning? You seem to be forgetting a lot more lately." She asked. 

It was true. Forgetting my meds once led to a whole cycle of forget. I'll fall into a horrible slump and Callie will have to force my meds down my throat. She is the only one really keeping me on the meds. Moms do care a lot about it and they always check up on me, just not the way Callie does. 

I rubbed my temples, "I did actually. I thought about you and how mad you would be if I didn't take them. But it explains my nausea." I said, and she patted my back.

She began to rub gentle circles on my back, "If you get into a constant cycle, then the symptoms should start to show less." She explained. I knew she was right, it was just hard to get into the swing of it. 

My medication was for my depression and anxiety. They came hand and hand with my case. My therapist originally diagnosed me with anxiety disorder, but then we both realized that I was actually suffering from depression too. She then insisted I take the medication, because the therapy alone was not really helping my case. Sometimes moms came to therapy with me, because my therapist told me we had to have family therapy once a month. It wasn't too bad, I just didn't share as much when they were there.

I dropped my head, "You're right. I'll try my best, Cal." I said.

She wrapped her arm around my shoulders, "I'll make sure to bug you every morning and I'll set a reminder in your phone for you which will show up with your alarm. How about that?" She suggested, and of course, I had to agree. She was just brilliant. 

I leaned back into my chair, "Sounds go-" 

The toaster popped, interrupting my sentence and bringing Callie up from her chair so she could go and get the bagels. She took them out gingerly, and placed each bagel onto a separate plate. She buttered hers after she put cream cheese on mine. She had made me bagels so many times that she didn't even have to ask what to spread on it. Just as she sat down next to me, moms made their way into the kitchen. Normally, their feet on the steps make themselves heard very clearly, but I guess they snuck down today.

Lena instantly went for the coffee pot, "Good morning, loves. You all are up early today!" She exclaimed. Callie and I exchanged a look, and giggled a little. 

Mom's brow rose, "Funny seeing that you two are always the last ones out of bed." She pressed, but in the way that all moms do. It washer sense of humor, and anyone that was not in the family would most likely take offense to the way she spoke.

I ran a hand through my hair, then sipped my milk, "I guess we just had a change of heart, or I just wanted to have the hot water." I said, and Callie shot me a look. 

She dropped her bagel back onto the tables, "Hot water...I'll race you for it!" She said, and she was gone with the wind. She was already half way up the stairs before I could even blink.

I frantically got up and chased her, "God dammit Callie!" I yelled, chasing after her. 

"Watch your mouth B!" Moms called out in unison, but I didn't care that much. It was a word, so what should they care about it? I just barely missed Callie as she slammed the bathroom door behind her, locking the door with a click. I heard the shower start, and I sat down in front of the door with a small grin on my face. 

About 10 minutes later, I heard the water finally stop. Everyone was already downstairs eating breakfast with moms, but Callie and I were still upstairs 'fighting' over the hot water. I was tapping my fingers on my knees when the door came flying open and Callie was standing there wrapped in a towel only, and she freaked when she saw me laying on the floor. 

She grasped the towel really tightly, her knuckles turned white, "Brandon I didn't know you were sitting right up against the door! I would have warned you." She said sympathetically.

I stood up, much closer to Callie than I imagined, "It's okay Cal." I said simply. I didn't really have any other words for the moment because, in that moment I realized, she was so beautiful.

Her figure became statue still, "I'll just-"

I caressed her face, and her sentence stopped midway. I leaned in closer to her placing a gentle kiss on her lips, which she didn't reject. She grabbed my face, dropping her towel, and I slammed the door shut behind us.