Chapter 28

Sam-the-girl POV

I stare slack-jawed at my reflection. I didn't know blue complimented me this well. I didn't know I could ever wear a dress this beautiful. I didn't know I could actually look this...nice.

I shake my head, still confused. My hair is curled and I am wearing a blue, flowy night gown. The top portion has beads that was formed into flowers and arranged on a skin tone see-through clothing to make it look like the beads were sewed on me. Which was creepy, but nonetheless pretty.

Aunt Filarme told me she did buy something, but I haven't had the chance to see it.

Until now.

"Wow," I hear someone say in a breathy whisper. "That's-" he stops, and then continues, "You're beautiful."

I turn around and smile at Luis. "Thank you."

He smiled too and kept his eyes on me.

"What, in love with me now?" I joke, chuckling.

He drops his smile and I instantly rethink my statement.

"That might just be the case," he says, in the most serious tone I've ever heard him use.

I laugh nervously. "You're funn-" I was interrupted by the warning call Aria is announcing. I'm up in 5 minutes. Luis looks around and then shrugs. "Go win this thing, Sam." he says and then went back to where he came from. I breathe out a sigh of relief. That was kind of tense. I look at my reflection again and wipe the sweat that wasn't there. Suddenly I feel feverish despite my strapless gown.

"Two minutes, contestant 16!" Aria warns, again. I near Aunt Filarme who was watching her son through the backstage door.

Sam is standing behind a black stool, where I was supposed to sit after I have to 'strut my stuff' according to Aria.

"You're up, honey," Aunt Filarme squeezes my hands and then gently pushed me towards the stage. I smile my best, and walk. It didn't actually last for 3 minutes, but I felt like I've been walking for an hour. That's why I was so thankful when I finally got to sit in my seat.

"That dress is nice." Sam says. He didn't even bother to whisper. He was sure no one can hear him besides me amidst the clapping. I smile my thanks, not as brave to talk as he is. But I take note of how he complimented my dress, and not me.

"We now have reached the most exciting part of the show. The question and answer!" Jayce says with so much enthusiasm, it sent the crowd on fire. "Our dear contestants will pick out questions from this fish bowl and our judges will score them individually. Let's start!"

The silence that followed was intense. As if everyone was as anxious as us. I scan the crowd, not sure what else to do. Hearing the questions and hearing my co-dudes' answers is making me more nervous. I spot Luis, who was grinning widely despite the atmosphere.

I contain the urge to wave at him, knowing full well that I shouldn't draw attention to myself. Luis gestures me a thumbs up and I try to smile more than I am smiling right now.

"Sam Concepcion." Jayce calls and I feel my heart do a somersault. "Here's your question. I look at Jayce, frowning. I haven't picked out from the fish bowl yet. Or have I? I look at Sam and then realize that it is home who is answering now. I bite my lip, and briefly contemplated on changing my name. But I shake my head and focus on the more pressing situation I am in.

"If you are are in a plane that is about to crash and you could be anyone at that moment, what would you be?"

Sam answers without missing a beat, "I'd be superman and save the plane from crashing or if I couldn't save anyone from dying from the impending crash." He nods, indicating that he's done answering.

I blow out a lungful of air and wait for my turn.

"How are you doing today, lovely lady in blue?" Jayce asks me.

"Splendid, I guess" I try to sound confident but I don't think I'm succeeding. She offers me the bowl and I pick the first paper my fingers touch.

"Here's your question: Assuming you were a mermaid, and you found a cruel prince in danger of drowning. If you save him, he would be afraid of you and kill you. If you don't save him, he would drown. What would you do, and why?"

"I would still save him, even with the knowledge that he'll kill me. I'd rather die with a clean conscience than live forever with the thought that I could've saved a man but chose not to. That is all, thank you."

"Okay folks, that's it! We would give the judges time to tally the scores and then in a few minutes, we'll know the grand champions!" she let the applause die down and then she goes backstage.

We all stand and walk around the stage one last time. We shuffle backstage and I didn't even know I am holding my until i had to gulp lungfuls of air as soon as I am seated.

"You did great, honey!" Aunt Filarme hugs me and I pretend we aren't in an awkward position-her hugging me while I am slouched on the sofa.

"That was a clever answer, dear" she moves on to Sam, who is drinking a glass of water beside me. He groups hug both of us and I am shuffled closer to Sam.

"You guys are making me cry. I think I may have to go to the rest room for this," she says and then went for the restroom, wiping her tears as she walked.

I blink, and then rest my head.

"You have a heavy head." Sam comments.

I sit up as fast as I can, realizing that I was resting my head on his arm.

He smiles and then he gently pushed my head back on his arm. I didn't bother to resist.

"That was an interesting answer," he opens.

"Was it?" When he didn't respond I say, "You gave an interesting answer too."

He chuckles. "It was immature."

I face him, frowning. "No. It was clever." He shrugs. A few moments pass and I notice him patting his arm.

"I thought my head was heavy," I point out.

"I don't mind. I like your head here."

"Really?"

He looks me straight in the eye and then suddenly I have no idea why my heart is pounding so hard right now. I'm pretty sure it's not because of the contest.

"Really."

And I didn't think it was possible but I am certain I just had a heart attack.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hi :)