Chapter 4

Cassandra stirred on the soft bed she was lying on. The morning had arrived, and she welcomed the warm rays peeking through the window. Amidst her enjoyment, an unsettling reminder of the night resurfaced.

"I don't care," Shouted an aggressive voice from behind the closed door. Cassandra bristled. It wasn't familiar, and she wasn't fond of newcomers. Rolling out of the bed with a suppressed cry of pain, she tip-toed over to the door and pulled it open to reveal a strong, sturdy built man arguing harshly with Carter. 

"She's innocent in this," Carter reasoned.

"She's a palace noble. Don't think me dumb, boy."

The door squeaked, eliciting both to look at her. Instinct told her run, but as she stood to her feet, the door was thrown open, leaving Cassandra completely vulnerable, and upon discovering her weapons were gone, unarmed.

"Awake I see," He grumbled, his voice rough and deep. "Spying as well,"

"Leave her be," Carter placed himself like a wall between the stranger and Cassandra.

The man growled before turning to leave. "Don't forget whose house you're in, boy."

"No Sir," Carter spat under his breath before motioning for Cassandra to follow. The brute sat at a small table for two and wolfed down his breakfast ferally. Awkwardness settled between the trio, and emotions ranged from distrust and anger to curious and miserable.

Cassandra finally broke the ice, giving Carter a shove and demanding silently with her eyes for an explanation. With a heavy sigh, Carter spoke. "Trent, this is Cassandra,"

"I know who she is, boy," He barked with food in his mouth.

"Cassandra, this is Trent," Then, with a pained expression continued. "My Father."

Cassandra could only stare mouth slightly ajar in confusion. "Your father?" She breathed. Besides the brunette hair and similar jaw, their bodies were completely different. Not to mention Carter had said his father was dead. Had it been a lie?

"Hard to see the resemblance since he's such a failure." Trent laughed, taking another bite of food.

Carter shook enraged at the insult. "What do you want? We never speak unless you want something."

"It's a trade I want," Trent swallowed. "I want to steal something,"

"Thievery isn't your style," Carter noted, crossing his arms.

"Precisely, but it is yours," Trent smirked at his son's realization. "Rumor's gotten 'round that you've been havin' trouble with some other lords in these parts. I can help with that, but I'd need something first-"

"The thing you need stolen, what is it?" Annoyance plagued his words.

"That isn't important, is it?" Trent smiled. "It's a small box belonging to one of the nobles. I can get you in if you can open the safe."

"The easiest noble to pick off would require a group of skillful men to infiltrate. I would know," Carter mumbled. "I'd need five trustworthy men, and we have two."

Trent's black orbs wandered onto Cassandra. A wry sneer broke onto his face. "What about her?"

Turning, Carter glanced at Cassandra, temporarily forgetting her existence. "I won't endanger her life."

"I count as two men, boy, and so do you,"

"That's leaves us one man short," Carter reminded, his smile stretched tight.

"I count as three," Cassandra suddenly voiced, causing the group to cast puzzled expressions her way.

"Are you bloody insane?" Carter demanded, pulling her away from his father's ears. "Have you gone mad?"

"It appears to be the only way," she explained.

"This coming from the King's first and only female knight, the girl who made me steal my own medicine so I could ride and help her save a princess. That very same girl is about to offer help to the worst man alive and the greatest thief to steal Lord knows what?"

Her response was simple. "Yes,"

"No, there is another way," He sighed, shaking his head.

"Honestly, Carter," She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Is there?"

"Why would you help him?" Carter's face was contorted with expressions of betrayal and hurt.

"Because I have my orders. One way or another, I'm to bring you to the palace. I intend to."

"Obsess much?" Carter scoffed, turning away from her.

"Seems your girlfriend is on board," Trent snickered darkly.

"She's not my girlfriend," 

"He's not my boyfriend," They answered in unison.

"Whatever, my patience is running thin, boy. Either you help me, or I will kill her in front of you."

"I'd like to see you try-" Cassandra hissed.

"Don't, Cassandra, please," Carter submitted, "I will help you, but I will be needing some things."

"Name them," Trent stood up, grabbing a coin string.

"More arrows, a lock picking set, and a slender blade,"

"You don't work with knives often," His father remembered, suspicion on the edge of his tone.

"Things change,"

"Fine, I'll be back later. The layout of the building is in that cupboard, as are the rest of the plans. There are clothes you can change into in the other bedroom, and so help me, boy, leave this house, and I will know," He leaned in close, whispering into Carter's ear. "and I will slit her pretty throat the same way they did your mother's."

"Understood," Carter seethed, fists clenched into tight balls.

With a distrusting eye, his father turned and left, leaving Carter and Cassandra standing alone in the two-bedroom home. Anger ran over the tip of his tongue in a string of colorful curses. Wordlessly, he forced steps into the other room, and Cassandra followed, knowing he would need to calm down, but she wasn't sure how.

Hi guys! What do you think of Carter's father? A real bundle of joy? Do you think Carter lied about his father being dead? Let me know via comments below. I apologize for the shortness of this chapter, but I guarantee you won't want to miss the next one.