Chapter 2

Carter borrowed a couple horses and helped Cassandra mount hers, but she was growing worse by the second, not to mention her wound would need to be cleaned to decrease the chances of infection. The ride was short and after nerve-racking minutes, they approached a simple two-story townhouse, which Carter called home.

Cassandra began to fall from her horse, but once again, Carter caught her. ''Don't take this wrong,'' He grunted, struggling under her weight, ''But you are significantly heavier than I thought a girl your size could be."

''Repeat that when I can move my limbs.'' She challenged, trying to help him, but her legs were motionless. 

Carter brought her inside his home and sat her in a chair at his table. "Don't move,''

"Stop enjoying yourself," She spat at his pun.

He faded into the dark hallways of his home but returned in a minute with a brown liquid that tasted remarkably sweet. Cassandra chugged the liquid quickly. "How long?"

"An hour at most," Carter shrugged, leaning back in his chair, resting his feet on the table. "Come on, let's pass time. What has our month apart brought you?"

"Fewer hardships than the last hour." Came her dry response.

Chuckling, Carter managed to find her genuine humor. "I do apologize for this evening. I wish you hadn't gotten brought into my world."

"If that's true, then why'd you agree to help me before?" Carter didn't answer her, which Cassandra half expected, but she had to keep him talking until she had mobility. "What does your world consist of now?"

"Crime lords, mostly," He grimaced. "We thieves are a bit touchy on our territory. I seem to have upset the balance, and this was an attempt to get even."

"Royal guard or not, even off duty, it's a serious offense to attack one, which you know," She added after a short pause.

Carter's gaze shifted to the ground. "So you heard?"

"Something I picked up with 'Brailstorm.' I'm glad I learned your name. Things have become increasingly easy."

"What are you doing, Cassandra?" He suddenly asked, staring deep into her emerald eyes. "I've known your reputation, but even with our run-ins, and the week we were confined together, I've learned you're not one for conversation. What's your true aim?"

A subtle sigh escaped her lips. "Do you need an answer?"

He breathed a curse before meeting her eyes again. "You were serious- about bringing me in."

"I have my orders." She nodded.

"Can't you break them once? Say I died while you tried to bring me in,"

"How?"

"Darn you, Cassandra, I don't care how? Just do it! I don't-" He rose up from his chair and ran a shaky hand through his hair. His eyes wandered onto the cup Cassandra had drunk from, and then onto a bottle of pills on the window sill.

"Don't even think-"

"A simple pill, or injection," He schemed.

"I already can move my hand," She raised it for him to see. "It doesn't take much effort to sever one."

Though she could still see him plotting, she relaxed when he resumed sitting beside her. "What about your shoulder?"

"Simple flesh wound," She winced. "Bandage?"

"Upstairs. I'll be back."

"No," she chuckled. "Do you think I'm a fool?"

He answered her with a smirk. "Worth a shot. Actually, I'll wait. There's something I want to show you." After twenty minutes, Cassandra sluggishly stood from her chair, and with Carter's aid, managed the staircase.

Her breath hitched in her throat when she tripped and felt his hands around her waist to catch her. "I'm fine," She shoved his hands away, but not before catching a hint of satisfaction in his smirk. Upon reaching the top, Carter left her side to lead her into a dark room. She entered cautiously, remembering he was a thief after all, even if he was a friend. She supposed that made him a friendly thief- the worst kind.

Grabbing a lit candle from the hallway, he set fire to the pale, seldom burned candles lining the walls of the room, which housed a grand bed, what she assumed to be a closet, and washroom. There was a third door, but her imagination got the better of her. "Your bedroom? That's what you dragged me up here for?"

"What not impressive enough?" He offered a sly smile.

"I didn't take up fighting just so I could keep scraps of food."

Carter's smile faltered, realizing the true meaning. Then, a devilish grin replaced it. "No, dear Sandra. If I'd wanted that, I wouldn't have given you mobility back. Although...." He trailed off in a joking manner. Clearing his throat, he finished, "Never in a million years." After seeing her displeased expression he decided to change the topic. "Actually, I brought you up here for this," He threw open the third door, which led again into darkness. "Allow me," He bid her wait while he lighted the room. "Madam," He beckoned with a grand gesture.

Cassandra walked inside, awed at what she saw. Plants, trees, and different types of small venomous animals lined the bountiful shelves scattered around the room. Every plant was a healthy specimen, and the critters, ranging from snakes and scorpions to spiders and other insects. She brought a hand up to their glass cages and quickly withdrew with a gasp when a snake lashed out at her.

"Impressive, aren't they?" Carter smiled from the door before coming to her side. "These creatures are some of the most deadly. I only keep a few, mostly because I don't often need lethal poisons."

"You market them illegally, which is why the criminals want you gone."

"Always perceptive," He responded, checking their food and water. "Small revenue, but enough to pay the rent, and my other endeavors. I have recipes for everything in here."

"Including the Dream Thief?"

"No," he shook his head. "Not anymore." Taking a sudden notice of her wound, Carter noted, "That will get infected if it hasn't already," He grimaced. Then, turning on his heels, he began his search. "I will need a needle, thread, and something to get the arrow-"

"Out!" Cassandra grunted. Carter jumped at the volume increase and spun to see  Cassandra standing teeth clenched as in pain, and the arrow in her balled fist. 

Carter licked his lips and shrugged. "That works too," Grabbing the required equipment, bandages, clean cloth, a bowl of water, needle, and some thread, Carter patched up her wound wordlessly. "You're really not going to let me go, are you?" He grimly inquired.

"I don't have a choice," Came her unreadable response. With a sigh, Carter asked for a moment to prepare his house for his absence, which she consented to. Then, his bags packed, and she able to ride, they began the journey to the capital of the northern kingdom.

Hello Everyone! I just want to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to vote on my story and give invaluable feedback. Please let me know if there are any mistakes in this chapter, and as always, if you liked the book, please vote, share with friends, and leave a comment.