Eulogy

Today is the most horrid day of my life – my best friend is gone, lost, he doesn’t know his way around, he doesn’t know how to take care of himself, he was only a baby; my baby. My Jack, the most adorable little Maltese dog in the world. He made me smile. I knew I could tell him anything. Even though he was an animal, he was my best friend – and I loved him. I couldn’t bring him back home. Wishing he could be summoned back to me, like a hunter, on the game World of Warcraft – one loud whistle and he would be my side. But we don’t live in a make believe world, this is reality; and the reality is that my baby is gone, forever.

I fall to the ground, on my knees, my hands shake involuntary, I feel tears running down my face – I mourn the loss of my dog; coiling to the ground in the fetal position.

‘Justin, what’s wrong? Mom says as she runs to me, instantly dropping the washing basket; so the clothes fall to the floor.

I can’t remember the last time Mom was concerned about me, but then again I was in no mood to be nostalgic about my mother’s sympathy. I had just lost Jack and I was distraught.

‘Mom Jack’s gone someone left the garage open and he must of went to follow someone walking past the house I miss him Mom bring him back Mom,’ I say as I get up from the ground, clinging on to my mother.

‘It’s okay, don’t cry, he will be back.’

I find it hard to believe my mother, as she is obviously just trying to make me feel better. I remain silent.

‘Ben left the garage open I think, when he left to go to his friends house,’ Mom says, as she gets up, picking the clothes off  the floor and hanging them up on the clothes line.

I was confused about why my brother would be idiotic enough to leave the garage door open, but I didn’t want to question it.

‘I want to go find him, now,’ I violently stomped my feet.

‘Justin, don’t you dare go look for him at this time of night,’ Mom ran to me, holding me back from leaving the house.

I didn’t care what Mom thought, why is she being so possessive? Yes, she’s my mother, but he’s my dog and I am going to look for him.

‘I’m going,’ I said, unshackling myself from my mother’s arms.

Jack was six weeks old when my family first brought him home, he was so small, and he could fit in the palm of my hands. I loved him from the start; we used to play together, sleep together and watch movies together. I even taught him how to go for walks, he was so scared of the cars on the street at fist, I’d always have to hold him, whilst he whimpered in my arms – it was the cutest thing, so innocent. I taught him everything, he was like my baby.

When I first took him to the shopping centre with my father, Dad tried to sell him to a fat lady and I stopped him. I didn’t want to sell him not even for a million dollars, he's mine and he makes me happy. The lady admitted she could see such a strong bond between us, she said it was the cutest thing she has ever seen. I held him tightly as he licked my face, and I promised him I would protect him and he would be my best friend forever.

I run out of my garage, cross the street and call for Jack, I look everywhere – unfortunately, he was gone.

I sat in my room, crying, hoping he found a nice family; it was more comforting then picturing him being run over by a car. I miss you Jack.

I kissed the photo of Jack and I and eventually I fell asleep.

© 2013 Justin Leonard Sacco.