Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine
TheTalk: Part One
{ Braxton }

I had received a phone call from my gorgeous mate and was thrilled at the idea of her parents wanting to have a dinner with us.

"That's great." I sounded, I mean, Harper seems to always be so involved with my family, and I couldn't wait to show her I could be just as involved with her family too.

She chuckled over the phone, "I'm glad you think so...because I just told my mom that we're engaged...I honestly couldn't find it in me to tell my dad so I was hoping we could maybe do that together."

My stomach fell a little as nerves washed over me.

Never have I ever felt nervous...I mean I'm an Alpha in charge of thousands of people, I've killed rogues without so much as a second thought, my daily job deals with million dollar companies...yet here I was now, thinking about how I asked my mate to marry me without her parents consent or her father blessing.

My heart was racing and my wolf was on edge now.

I mean of course I understand that Harper is old enough to make her own decisions but...and some may see my asking her father's permission as out-dated, but it's the respectful thing.

"Don't worry." She sounded, possibly picking up on my silence as nerves. "Val's suppose to bring Trace too...so they'll be a good distraction for us."

I had to admit that knowing I wouldn't be the only future son in law in the house tonight did make me feel a little better. We talked a little more before I had to go to finish up a report for work.

"Of course My Gorgeous...I cant wait to talk to the both of them...I miss you already."

"Miss you too now hurry up and get over here." She laughed a little before she hung up.

But the minute I put my phone away and got back behind my computer I found I couldn't focus on anything.

What would her father say?
What would he do...or try to do?

I knew there was no way I'd be able to focus and luckily I was already at home so I simply logged off of my laptop and decided to go for a run.

As soon as I stepped through our back doors I took in a deep breath and undressed before shifting.

It always felt so good to shift and shake my fur out.

My wolf took the lead and ran us through the overgrown forest, careful not to get snagged by low hanging branches or trip over any uproots and tangled foliage.

But my wolf moved seamlessly, as if he knew where exactly everything was.

But after being out close to an hour I finally headed back in.

I shifted back, collected my clothes and had went up to have a shower.

_____

I knew I still needed to get them a gift or something...this was the first time I'd be meeting her parents and really getting to talk to them and getting to know them (Oppose the times I picked her up but never stayed long enough to make a ton of conversation).

I was determined to make a good impression, even if that meant I came off as a kiss-ass.

Her mom would be easy as Harper told me how she loves to garden, So I stopped by my mom's shop first.

"Hey sweetie, what brings you by?" She sounded as she moved from behind the counter and walked over to hug me.

"I am having dinner with the Carson's this evening and I came to pick up some seeds for her mother who happens to love gardening."

She smiled and gave me a few seeds of her favorites.

"So you've got her mother covered...what about her Father?"

At this I sighed, "I have no idea and I'm pressed for time so I can't get anything too extravagant."

She nodded, "Well how about just an honest to goodness talk with him, let him know who you are and why you deserve to be with his daughter...and remember, none of the mate stuff will work with him."

I sighed once again and nodded, "Thanks mom."

I was thankful for the fact that when I pulled up to the Carson house Valerie and Trace were also pulling into the driveway.

"Hey" Valerie sounded before I made my way over to greet them, I gave Trace and Valerie brotherly sort of hugs and she smiled, "We could've car pulled."

I offered her a weak smile, I knew she was trying to nix the tension and I was grateful for it...but my wolf and I wouldn't be completely at ease until we could at the very least be near our mate.

Val walked us all in and thankfully my Harper came right over to me. She hugged me and held my hand...I was completely out of my element here as I wasn't quite sure about her parent's stance on PDA, so I would have to follow her lead.

"Mister and Missus Carson, it's a pleasure to see you both again." I sounded "Missus Carson, My mother sent over these for you after I mentioned how much you care for gardening."

I didn't want to take credit for the gift.

"Oh thank you, she really didn't have to." She smiled.

"It was nothing, She runs a flower shop and appriciates anyone else who shares a green thumb."

I let out a sigh of relief after that and watch on as Trace was introduced to the both of them for the first time.

Val was thankfully more talkative and bubbly and made up for the awkward greeting between them all.

after that their mother announced that dinner was almost done and to make ourselves at home. But before we even had time to make our way into the living room their Father spoke up.

"Gentlmen...a word please."

I took a deep breath and let go of Harper hand, before I joined Trace in what felt like our walk to the electric chair.

My wolf whined for our mate and I shook my head silently asking him to stop, she was safe and inside, right now we needed to be on our guard and prepare for anything.

The three of us made our way out the back door, I noticed they weren't too far away from the forest line.

To think, all those times I wanted to visit Harper when she lived with her parents I could have just met her in the forest.

But I was pulled out of my thoughts as I noticed Mister Carson had come to a stop and turned to face us once again.

Trace and I stood next to each other...two young powerful Alphas, but in this moment all we were, were two guys coming in to be with this man's daughters.

"Trace Johnson and Braxton Ocklan...you two are very lucky men to have found Valerie and Harper." He smiled, "I know how much my daughters love you and I know you worship them...as mates should do."

"You mean soul mates." Trace smiled.

Mister Carson smiled in return but shook his head, "No, I mean mates as in a Werewolves other half."