Stage 9 - Ally?

"Stop yapping like girls and get on with it!" Coach Orion yelled.

Boys dressed in football jerseys and cleats jogged by.

"If only there were girls running with us," a team member muttered as they all picked up their pace. "I would be a whole lot more motivated."

"Yo, Lucas!" Nathan waved as he passed.

More greetings followed, and the ECHO agent found himself high fiving each boy as they eagerly lined up to touch palms.

"You missed us that much?" Pete teased.

"Just making sure you're all still able to play," Lucas shot back as he and Brian walked alongside the field.

"Bah!" came the response as he gave the final high five and the boys jogged out of earshot.

"Lucas!" Coach Orion shot him a smile and a wave.

Lucas returned it.

"Aren't you popular," Brian muttered.

"It comes with the looks," Lucas told him nonchalantly.

Brian shot him a sidelong glance, looking him up and down. With a grunt he turned away, looking anything but impressed.

"Hey," Lucas protested as his roommate picked up his pace and headed for the bleachers. "I've been told I'm quite the heartbreaker!"

"More like a carnivorous plant," Brian said.

Lucas opened his mouth to protest. He closed it without a sound when he caught sight of a familiar figure.

A very beat up cardboard cutout stood next to the assistant couch. Lucas made brief eye contact with his own face before the crookedly taped head proceeded to detach itself from the body. The assistant coach grabbed it before it could plummet to the ground. He glanced at the running boys to make sure none saw the near disaster before. Satisfied, he tried to franticly stick the head back.

Grinning, Lucas joined his roommate on the bleachers. They sat far enough to be out of earshot of those below, yet close enough to hear Coach Orion yelling at the panting boys who'd just returned.

"How are you all already out of breath!" Coach's face turned beetroot at the effort it took to get his point across. "It's been five laps and you're gasping like fish out of water. Disgraceful!"

Someone muttered something. Snickers broke out.

"Jenson, that's an extra lap." Orion wasn't playing.

The boy broke free and trotted off.

"Obviously you're in need of some cardio training." Coach eyed the boys. "Suicides," he demanded.

Groans rose all around.

"Go!" the bark sent the boys scrambling into action.

They jogged to one end of the pitch. Coach Orion followed, whistle in mouth.

"Of all things to do, why did you choose the football team?" Brian's voice pulled Lucas' attention from the pitch.

The ECHO agent shrugged. "It was assigned."

Brian grunted before lapsing into silence. Lucas leaned forward, eyes returning to the team.

The shrill whistle sent the football boys sprinting. Upon reaching the first cone, they touched the ground before turning and running back.

"I was against you coming back," Brian decided to share.

Small talk. This time, Lucas didn't bat so much as an eyelash.