Chapter 20

"My lady, there's someone here to visit you," Johnson said, coming into the library.

Alice looked up from her copy of Nova Methodus pro Maxima et Minimus, slightly annoyed at the interruption. She hated it when she had to leave a topic midway. As it is, she hardly spent any time with her books anymore. Ralph occupied her time, her mind...pretty much everything. He was her first priority now, she was a woman in love after all. And she missed him so when he was away from home, like now.

You're a countess now, you have responsibilities, she said to herself.

"Who is it?" she sighed.

"I do not know, my lady," he replied.

"Didn't they offer their calling card?"

"No, my lady. He says he needs to see you urgently. Lord Orford had given me clear instructions that I shouldn't allow anyone near you in his absence, but this man refuses to leave without seeing you..."

Alice stood up, she was just a little unsettled.

Who could it be?

"Show him in," she said resolutely.

As Johnson nodded and left the library, Alice strapped her small dagger to her calf, fervently hoping she didn't have to use it.

Alice entered the newly appointed green parlour, walking in confidently.

She stopped short when she saw him or rather his balding head, staring out of the window.

George Bates.

Not again.

He turned, sensing her presence.

"Lady Woodbury, I can't believe I'm finally seeing you," he said, walking towards her and grasping her hands.

Alice wanted to scream.

"It's Lady Orford now," she smiled thinly and his eyes widened.

"Yes, of course! I learned from your father just now. I was hoping this was all a big joke," he let go of her hands and Alice resisted the urge to breathe out audibly.

"It's true, I'm married," she said, her smile more real this time.

"Please take a seat, Sir," she lead him to the sofa and sat away from him in an armchair.

He didn't speak for the longest of time. Alice took in his haggard face. He looked terrible. She didn't feel a bit of remorse for this despicable man.

"I had called on Lord Woodbury's house today with the intention of apologising to you for missing our walk," he said stiffly after Johnson had brought them tea. He had looked at Alice, trying to discern if she was alright. Silently asking her if he needed to manually throw the strange man out. She'd merely smiled serenely.

Alice was in the middle of pouring him a cup when he spoke. Her hands stopped, the kettle suspended in the air. Her brows pulled up in confusion.

What was he talking about?

"I see you've forgotten," he said, reading her expression. "Nobody ever forgets me," he continued, his voice having taken a dangerous edge that made Alice squirm in her seat.

Alice wracked her brains. She really needed to work on her poor memory.

Oh wait. That walk, the one she'd proposed they take to gather information about him.

Good god, how could she have forgotten such a thing? Well, at least he thought he'd missed it.

"You mean our walk in Hyde park? Of course, I remember, Sir Bates," she fake laughed. "I also remember how dejected I was when you didn't turn up that day."