Chapter 7

"It's about to begin," Vanessa squealed excitedly and rushed to their seats.

Sarah followed suit, leaving Alice and Ralph no choice but to sit next to each other.

Alice would've thought it innocent but Vanessa ruined the effect by smirking at her as they settled in their seats.

"Have you read the programme?" Ralph asked politely.

"Yes. Unlike you, I'm extremely excited about this," Alice replied pertly.

Sarah and Vanessa were ignoring them. Deliberately, Alice suspected.

In no time, Vitoria Ludovica's captivating voice filled the theatre, silencing the chatty audience with its beauty.

"Enchanting, isn't it?" Alice murmured, not taking her eyes off the stage.

"Yes," Ralph whispered, not taking his eyes off of Alice.

She turned to look at him and Ralph stopped breathing. The air around them fairly crackled with tension as they continued to stare at each other.

God but she was beautiful. Utterly bewitching.

The loud applause following the end of the first scene brought them both back to reality.

Alice turned away, looking uncomfortable. She began fidgeting with her reticule. Ralph found her befuddlement oddly endearing.

He looked ahead to find Bates spying on them with his lorgnette from the opposite box. Ralph didn't feel quite so guilty about insulting him anymore. The man was an arse.

He thought he was employing sleuth, Ralph thought disgustedly.

That was enough to remind him of his purpose tonight. He had to speak with Vitoria if she was willing to see him.

"Would you like to have some refreshments?" He asked the ladies.

"Some lemonade, please," Vanessa said while Alice and Sarah declined.

He used this time to send a note to Vitoria.

He was back just in time for the second scene.

"What took you so long?" Sarah asked.

"I met an old acquaintance," he said.

She nodded, satisfied with his answer. But Alice looked suspicious, he noticed with some amusement.

The scene had begun when a footman appeared with a note.

Ralph excused himself and left the box. Once he was in the darkened hallway, he opened the heavily scented piece of paper.

I'm available now, it said.

It wasn't signed and that didn't surprise Ralph in the least.

He quickly made to get down the stairs in search of Vitoria.

"Wait!" someone called behind him as he stepped on the first landing.

He knew it was Alice even before he turned around.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, his voice low.

"I could ask you the same," she huffed, coming to stand on the stairwell. That brought them eye to eye. Ralph had to remind himself that he was angry with this woman.

"You're alone in a dimly lit hallway with no one about, Alice. Have you lost your mind?" He hissed.

"You're here," she said almost accusingly.