Drop Dead Drew

On that note, this is the first good bye letter I ever received.  I'm sure it's the only one of its kind.  Not many people would take the time.  Except he had known for so long he was wasting away.  It wasn't as if he'd been up running in the last year.  Maybe he walked a bit.  But I can't say for sure...there were so many miles between us.

Hello,

My name is Sheri Linden, I'm Drew Linden's mother, and I'm sending this letter on behalf of my son.  When he was diagnosed with leukemia, he began this project of writing letters to all his friends.  I regret to inform you that he has passed away, but it would mean a lot to the both of us if you read his letter.  I am grateful for your support, as was Matt, and I wish you happiness and health for you and your family.

~ ~ 

July 29

Dear Tinsel,

You knew better than anyone how much my project meant to me, so I know you already know what this letter is.  Before you cry, I want you to look away and think of all the fun we had together.

Together, we made a pretty odd couple I'll admit.  People said we were always more like siblings than anything.  I don't care what they said, though, because we exchanged a lot of meaningful words and shared so many moments I'll never forget.  We were both stupid then, and we made mistakes and had our fights, but in the end we were always together, even with distance.  

I know you have this belief that you're not good enough for anyone, and you're always comparing yourself to other girls, but honestly, you are one of the most gorgeous girls I have ever known.  And not because you have perfect hair, or wear a size 0, but because you carry yourself like you don't care, and you laugh when you shouldn't, and you wear what feels right, not what actually is.  Because you are unique and crazy in a way that just makes me happy.  People are lucky you're nice enough to talk to them.

I want you to stay that way.  I want you to take that personality with you wherever you go and become something great.  But don't become something for the wrong reason.  Do what makes you happy.  And make me a promise.

Never let me become a "was."  In your heart, I want to always be someone who IS your friend, not someone who WAS your friend.  Nothing got in my way before and it certainly isn't going to now.

My head is pounding, and my hands are cold now.  It feels like I'm already dead.  In fact, I think it won't be long from today.  I know that's a terrible thing to write in a letter, but I'm not scared to die.  I've had a great life, and I wouldn't change the things that happened.

So here's to our first Shave It after school, the first Glow Dance, the first Spirit Day, the first Homecoming Game, the first Coffee Walk, and the first Kiss.  You were there for every one of those.  That means a lot, so thank you.

Thank you so much.  Be strong and be yourself, because you're great.

Love,

Drew

"Cancer did not kill me, It freed me..."

P.S. My mom will send you that cologne you liked so much.  It's only half full, but I want you to have it.  Maybe it will make you think of me...