The Noise

They used to fight. My mom and dad.  A lot.  I was raised in a house of noise.  I was used to the never ending sounds.  They were a part of me. But that didn’t mean I liked it.

 Their voices floated through the house as if on waves, drifting ashore in my room.  I shut the door.  Noise.  Even my door seems to be crying.  But this is when my head gets quiet.  When the whole house holds the noise in its palms and I leave.  My mind takes me elsewhere.

In my head I see pyramids, and then oceans, and tall mountains.  But these moments never last long.  But last time I came back too soon.  I woke up and the noise knocked me down.  The floor caught me, but it still hurt.  A surge of pain zipped up my back and it felt like I’d been stung by thousands of merciless bees.  But the fighting went on.  My mind had abandoned me.  I couldn’t get away, and I cried.  I sat on the floor, too weak to get up.  I tried, but my legs kept telling me no.  So there, in the middle of my room, criss-cross on the floor, I remained, crying, listening, and trying to escape.

         I never did.  I listened to the anger in their voices until I couldn’t take it anymore.  It was too much, and I shattered.  I shattered like millions of glasses to the floor.

         But no one heard it.  There was too much noise. Stop it, I screamed.  Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.  I beat on the floor with my fists, but no one heard it.  There was too much noise.  I threw the books and jumped on the bed, but no one heard it.  There was too much noise.

         Then just like that, I was back in my place.  Floating through the sky on the back of an eagle.  I could see the whole city from up in the sky.  We saw my house, but I didn’t recognize it.  It seemed too peaceful to be mine.  Sitting there, smiling as if nothing had happened.  But something had happened.  It had.  And even in my place I could not escape it.  The eagle turned to me, and spoke, but I could not hear him.  The wind whistled through my ears and his voice was lost.  The eagle frowned at me, and I awoke, crying still, to silence.  But in that silence I could hear my heart beating close to termination and the tears sounded like waterfalls down my cheeks. 

And then, so scared of what I could hear, I wished for noise.

And even still, silence scares me.  But I'd take it over the screaming and snickering.  That just breaks me.