WCGW: Chapter 4

"Hey," a voice called me. "Are you ready for the party?" 

His voice sounded familiar. It sounded like Oliver. The last time we met was at the lake on my fifteenth birthday. I haven't called him or met him for about more than two months now. It sounded warm, but weird. It felt like the voice was coming on the opposite side of my bedroom door. I had a sensation that he was standing right there saying those words.

"Hello?" I called out. 

"Yes." the voice said. It was still that same voice.

"Is that you Oliver?" I asked, getting up from my bed and walking towards the door. As I turned the door knob counter-clockwise, I noticed that it wasn't Oliver. It was Mom. Mom?

"Mom?" I asked. How could it be Mom? Mom doesn't have a deep voice like that.

"Yes honey," she replied. "Who's Oliver?"

"You don't remember?" I asked.

"Isn't it Alex's older brother?" 

I nodded in return. "Yes, and what were you going to say?"

"You miss him don't you?"

"What were you going to say before I said 'Mom'?" I asked, ignoring her question.

"I was going to say 'you better get ready for the party. Dad and I already bought all the supplies for 'the 'invention' party. Are you exctied?' That's what I was going to say."

"But you just said that,"

"Um." she murmurred awkwardly.

"Umm, okay. I'll just get changed." I replied, frowning at the thought that Mom was Oliver.

"What's wrong? I thought you wanted this celebration."

"Oh, nothing's wrong." I assured her, not telling the exact truth.

"Alright, but be sure to get ready. The party's in an hour. You have to be down by then. If possible, earlier than that." she said, closing my door softly.

I took of my sleeping clothes and changed into a pretty outfit. I took out a blue and white polka-dotted dress and tried it on. It was still a little bit too big for me. I tried on another dress; it had a white background with black sparkles that covered every surface of the knee-length dress. I stared at the dress, then at myself for a long minute. I looked stunned, pretty stunned. This dress made me look elegant and pretty. It showed my curves that I had been wanting to show and it was comfortable to wear.

I walked towards my dresser and sat down on my chair. I grabbed my black nail polish container and opened it carefully. Trying to not let it spill, I warily painted the background on each of my finger nails white. It took at least five minutes to finish the mission. I gently painted small white dots on top of the backgroun. I used a hair dryer to speed things up and cautiously, but lastly coated each finger nail with transparent nail polish.

After the last round of drying the nails, I stepped into my one foot high black heels. I wobbled a little as I made two steps. The third step, I was done for. I was on the floor, trying to stand up from this terribly high heels. I wasn't used to wearing these type of shoes. Even though I am girl, I'm not totally comfortable with wearing these type of shoes. No wonder people call these 'high heels', because they have... such high heels. I stood up and decided to try again. If I'm going to be coming to the prom next year, I have to practice now. 

I carefully walked downstairs, preventing myself from falling on my heels, and there goes my Dad. "Amanda?" Dad calls me out. 

"Yes Dad."