Snow Flakes

Snowflakes

Rose sat quietly in her room, watching the snow float gently down and rest on the white, glittering ground. How she wished she could run outside and play, feel the cool nip of the air on her cheeks. But since her 13th birthday she had been all but forbidden to go outside without guarded escort. That left little room for playing and fun.

She had become a studious learner, having nothing better to do, and since that visit to the Vampire kingdom she hadn’t seen Erik or Charles. She remembered the day quite well, hiding in the woods with Charles, Erik had found them pretty quick, jumping from out of the trees to surprise them. They had a good laugh about it before heading inside.

Rose sighed and moved from the window. She hadn’t seen the Princes in 5 years now. Soon she’ll be sent off to be married, if she ever get’s told to whom she will be married too. Her father says that it is his decision, but a ball will be held and Rose can have an input if she would like. If she was to be honest the only princes she’d give a second thought would be Erik and Charles. But she didn’t think that her father would ever permit, or the kingdom for that matter, her to get married to a Vampire. It was just unheard of, and considering her lifespan is so much shorter than theirs.

Taking a seat at her desk she perfected, once again, her penmanship. Writing elegant letters across old parchment pages, drawing flowing lines to write out the meaningless thoughts. She sighed when the page was full, she put down her quill and sat back. There had to be something fun to do today!

Her plea seemed to be answered when trumpets blew at the front gate, signaling that someone had arrived. She hoped she knew who, and raced out of her room and down the stairs. “A lady doesn’t run in the halls!” Her teacher shouted at her. Rose glanced back at her, seeing a very disapproving glare. Rose slowed down and came to a halt. Her teacher walked briskly to her side and whapped the end of her baton on Rose’s back, causing quite the sting. Rose hissed and sent a sideways glare at her teacher. “A lady must walk with grace.” Her teacher said calmly and elegantly.

“Announcing the arrival of King Vladimir and the Royal Princes Sir Erik and Sir Charles!” A man shouted from down the stairs. Rose looked over the railing and saw them enter. It took both boys only a second to locate her. Her scent filled their noses as she waited.

As Rose gazed at them her breath caught. Was it just her imagination or did the boys get more handsome since the last time she had seen them? Pushing the thought away she raced down the stairs as fast as she could, holding the hem of her skirt up, behind her, her teacher’s voice screeched with disapproval.

Rose didn’t care, Erik and Charles moved to the bottom of the stairs to meet her, so at the last few steps she jumped and landed in their waiting arms. “Well isn’t this a wonderful welcome?” Charles chuckled.

“Agreed brother, I think the princess is very happy to see us.”

“Very happy?” Rose pulled back, she was unable to keep the stupid grin off her face. The three shared looks and began to laugh.

Vladimir and Richard watched them with content smiles. “Shall we?” Richard asked, leading Vladimir to his study. “I think we better leave the three of them to their reunion.” Vladimir chuckled, but his heart was heavy.

One day the three of them wouldn’t be able to play like this, as childhood friends. Rose would have to choose which son she liked better and marry him. It was going to be a tough decision, one that would leave their friendship broken.

For seven years now Richard and Vladimir had been discussing the prospects of a marriage proposal between both races, between one of Vladimir’s sons and Richard’s daughter. Secretly Vladimir had hoped that one of his sons would outgrow their fantasy, but it had gripped their hearts like nothing else.