Kingdom

Kingdom

                The little princess was bright and happy, her smile lit up many members of her father’s kingdom. Even though she is just a toddler she brought smiles to many people, even those less likely and unknowingly. “King Richard.” A low voice almost hissed. The king turned to see who had joined him in his study, while he watched his daughter play with a feather from his quills.

“King Vladimir, what a pleasant surprise.” Richard replied slowly calculating the distance between his guest and his daughter.

“Now Richard there is no need for you to do that.” The old king replied taking a seat across from the Richard without permission. “I am here only for business.” Richard repressed the urge to glare at the older king. “Besides, a mere human couldn’t match the speed of a Vampire.” The man’s eyes shown red for the briefest of moments. Richard tensed visibly and leaned forward.

“You said you had business.” He ground out.

“I do.” Vladimir stated, shuffling down in his seat to get comfortable. “My wife, recently gave birth to two boys. And it is her wish that they grow up in peace.” It was then that Vladimir sighed. “I wish not to continue the feud between our kinds, and in some way, attempt peace, so that both of our children aren’t fearing for their lives, or the lives of others.” Richard was a little shocked. In fact he held no anger or prejudices against the Vampire kind, but no one had ever thought of creating peace between the nations. “What I’m saying is, the fighting must stop.”Vladimir held his hand out, across the desk to Richard.

Still a little shocked, but he was happy. A smile slowly pulled the corner of his lips up and he leaned forward and took the old king’s hand. “I think peace is a perfect idea.” He stated. “Our children’s generation will get to see a new era between the Humans and Vampires, and an era long in waiting.”

Vladimir and Richard stood up shaking hands again, patting each other’s shoulders. “Oh, by the way, your daughter is very cute.” Vladimir said bending down to the little girl. He did not reach out to pick her, he knew that the peace was still fresh between the two of them and he didn’t want to risk any unnecessary uneasiness. “May I hold her?” he asked. Richard frowned and picked her up.

In an instant Rose reached out for the old king, her small hands wiggling. Vladimir reached out a hand and let her hold one of his fingers. Richard smiled brightly along with Vladimir as Rose giggled.

This peace was sure to be a lasting one.

But the two kings barely saw each other after that meeting, both having families to raise now.