Chapter Six - The Hunters of Elphen Deep

A cure for an incurable disease. A drink for an unquenchable thirst. A plate for the eternally unsatisfied. The Redlands are of the wealthiest of Romano, but not its sister the Region of the Redwoods. It never really did progress from where it started.

The region was so named by their tall, old trees that forested every corners of their territory. They had used these trees to their advantage, kept intruders at the mouth of the forests and never failed to slay those who fiercely tried to impregnate it. Never did the Legion really inhabited the Redwoods.  Their people were one of the firmest, one of the strongest willed freemen of Romano.  This the Legion knew all too well, so no jurisdiction ever served the Legion's best interests in the Redwoods.

 Yet the Cause manifested its own relevance, the Legion has yet to see the promise of military might that is the Redwoods. So the assumed neveu currency had been made unavailable to those who reside in the deep forests of the Redwoods, unless they proved to be of fealty to the Cause and the deliverance it promises. The Redwoodlanders will choose which to uphold, they must.

"A Treant lurks by. Give us those lights will ye"

Once when the Rebellion had erupted, the Graegan Forces  had asked for safe passage through the Redwoods. Three thousand guns and artilleries , yet to crush the Legion but at the mercy of the Redwoodlanders.

"Gip. Did ye hear me, I said lights!" A hoarse, angry tone appealed.

 The old trees were not the only thing that stood strong between them and the Redlands. But also the proud voices who call the forests their home. 

"Can't. We ran out of extra lights. Rained all day today."

"Be best if we saved batteries"

"Hopefully we have sun on the morrow."A young man carefully explained.

But they were yet to decide whose side they fought for, if they did choose to fight. They must choose, whether by  proud battlecries or by a timid whisper. 

"By Liber's seed I'll gun those batteries, throw every last one of them, and burn these trees"

"Now that's safe passage. Don't ye think so, Gippi."

"Get rid of these, devil trees. And oh, a forest fire light the size of the Redlands!" the hoarse voice shouted, looked around, and keen of the ears listening closely among the trees.

The war was upon them too. So a passage was brokered for more than three thousand men of Mace. Three thousand passing through the woods and into the safekeep of the Elphen Deep, a town much deeper in the woods. A population even the Legion is doubtful of its true location.

"Big words from a small man. Respect the trees, there's no need for harshness here." A curious tone emerged, timely as it should.

A Deal that had promised them all wealth within their reach. All wealth that is the Redlands. Gregoran Mace, agreed. His eyes were set only to the biggest prize, which never was just the Redlands.

The whole of the Redlands  in return for safe passage. A good sized opportunity, or a call to arms against the Legion.  What choice, was for the Redwoodlanders an agreeable investment.

 "I'm no man, treant." said the hoarse voice, laughingly

"I'm Marauda Mace, ye very well burn that in yer wood-brain of yers"

He stood carrying a rifle above her, on an elevated floor of planks nailed around a hip of an old, tall redwood. He was a man who stood proudly, his yellow flocks of hair neatly drowned his heart shaped face, to his cheeks and even a little skirmish of gold and brown on his jaws. His eyes were a twin of blue, and a quiet look that sings of innocence. In light you could easily identify him apart from others, he always had this observing presence that almost annoyed his peers.

"I know who you are, Mace."

He wore the handles of his rifle at his back, straightened up his dark green uniform and positioned his limbs on the stairs going down the tree. Halfway through he aimed at the ground and leaped as close to the parade.

"You're bad news"said he.

He looked quite impressive standing next to her, with his bigger shoulders Marauda almost looked powerless against him. But she didn't flicker, she didn't flinch. They stood head to head, eye to eye. From her devlish smile to his.

"And yer Hale Hearthsworth, heir to Elphen Deep."

"Well was the heir, I see you've enjoyed the gains of a Scout Leader."

"Good for you"Marauda teased the man in front of her. 

Marauda could hear each platoon leader commanding their march to halt. Most of them were thankful for the sudden stop.  

She studied the man's ambient face, almost seemed expressionless. But with a charm that excited her insides. 

"I like climbing trees, is all. Last day I was in town my father was still Governor."

Hale poised his lips and whistled an odd chirp, a signal. It echoed through the woods, and even to the group of birds who fluttered away from the jungle. Moments after a few men with their own arms stepped out of the trees unto the road, then a few more carried blocks of barricades. Concrete and barbed wires lined thick on the left heading to the Redwoodlander town.

"Elphen Deep is closed for you lot. Orders from Capital Council. If you need supplies from the town, then get a few men to buy it for you, I'll allow you a truckload. nothing more."

"To your left is a much longer road around the Valley Point, well we can't have your dirty mountain hands... on our women. Can't we"

Nothing was news really. The march expected to take a farther route, that was why Marauda kept her lead in the parade. She then readied her two of her nurses and ten footmen ordered them to take her truck with a number of batteries in it.

"No problem with that, treant. It'd be best if I camp here for the night, is that okay?"

Hale nodded, and signaled his men to open a barricade so the truck could fit through.

"And urgent business matters to attend to. We need to talk to your father, my orders too."

Hale impressioned her irony, flashed one smile again and lead her to his vehicle. 

"Yes. Business matters." he said agreeingly

He opened her the right door, his jeep jerked at Marauda's weight. He moved to the left and started at his seat. He pushed the keys in, switched it to ignite closed his right and looked at  the woman beside her.

"How urgent do you need to see my father?"Hale asked, and smiled.

He tightened his grip on the  steering wheel, pursed his lips and looked kindly at Marauda. Then not even on a sudden second, their hands both searched for each others faces and kissed,thoroughly and consumated the excitement they had endured. Both wet at the cold rain of the Redwoods.