Chapter 10: Homecoming

A/N: Well, since I missed updating last week, I figured that meant I owed you two updates this week!

Chapter 10: Homecoming

I really should have prepared Jace better for what was coming, but it wasn’t like I had much of a chance. There are some things in life that happen which take you by surprise, and all you can do is brace for impact when they come and hope that the whirlwind doesn’t throw you overboard. I heard about it only through a text that I received during my fourth period class. Which of course I didn’t look at until the break because I’m such a good student and always pay perfect attention during English. Which is partly because I don’t get good phone reception in that class room, though that’s beside the point.

So, I’m sure you’re wondering what exactly it said. Quite simply, four words:

“See you tonight bro.”

It was from Julia, my older sister. She was in her freshman year of collage at South Dakota State University. It wasn’t that far from our home, only an hour or so, which made it pretty easy for her to visit when she wanted after her Friday classes, even if it wasn’t something she did often. She always dreamed about being a doctor who went to those third world countries and saved them from all those horrible diseases, so to that end, she’s studying nursing. Maybe that’s a lofty ambition, but when she sees something she wants, she runs after it with everything she can. Being around her too much can get a bit tiring, but I can’t fault her for not wanting to make an impact with her life.

Anyway, so she was coming to visit is, no doubt after hearing about Jace and wanting to meet him. I had hoped that I could talk to Jace some after school, tell him that despite the fact she was possibly a little crazy my sister wasn’t someone to be afraid of. So, I made a mental note of that, and went on with my day.

When I got home that day, I threw my backpack in my room, and looked around the house for Jace, who I finally found in the living room with a book. I walked over to see what it was, and saw it was my old copy of the Outsiders, a book I ended up getting several years back to read for school. English was never my favorite subject, but it was a pretty cool story to read, showing a different side of society than I was used to. It’s not like there are gangs or anything in this little South Dakota town.

“Enjoying the book?” I asked, causing him to jump up and look at me. “Sorry, did I startle you?”

“Um…yeah, didn’t see you come in.”

He was laying on the couch as he read, so I took a seat in the chair right next to him. “Enjoying the book?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s pretty good,” he said setting it on his lap. The character, Soda reminds me some of you,” he said with a smile. I never thought of myself that way, and it’d been a while since I read it, but Soda did seem like a cool character, so I guess that’s a good thing. He then looked across the room, to the clock on the wall. “Wow, I’ve been reading this for around an hour.”

“How far have you gotten?”

“Um…page 23.”

That didn’t seem like far, for how long he’d been reading, but I guess it wasn’t something he was used to. “The story gets better the further you go,” I said. “Kind of sad though.”

“What happens?”

“Read and find out,”

I got up then and was going to head to my room, giving him time with his book. I knew some people that would try to throw an object at you if you disrupted them from reading a good book, and while I don’t think Jace was that bad yet, there was no reason to drag him away from a book he enjoyed so much. However, as I started up the stairs, the door flew open.