The Caller

"Thank you for calling 99.1 playing what you want to hear!"

"Hello?" said a shaky voice over the speaker.

He sounded so familiar, but I couldn't place where I had heard him.

"What's your name?" I cheered.

He whispered, "I'm being followed."

Glancing around the room, I gave a questioning look even though I knew he couldn't see me, "Are you okay, sir?"

"I don't know," He whispered, "I'm being followed."

There was a pause and a door slamming shut, "I'm okay now; I'm at home but I ran out of peanut butter for my sandwich. Could you bring me some?"

"Sir, have you been drinking?"

There was heavy breathing, "I is not drunk!"

"Sir, I think you should just go to bed," I shifted my position in the uncomfortable metal chair, hoping I wouldn't be fired for this call taking so long.

"Shhhhhhh" he whispered.

"What?" I stared absently at an old yellow stain in the stark white wall.

"He's back!" His voice shook with fear.

I heard the loud clattering sound of the phone falling on the floor. A door slammed shut in the distance and heavy footsteps approached.

I heard a deep voice rumble with laughter, "Finally! And you're drunk! Perfect!"

He was being serious! I picked up my cell phone ready to call the police.

The man with a dark voice let out a low sigh, "You always were very disappointing. I don't know why they didn't kill you off sooner."

I heard the distant sound of someone rummaging through what sounded like a bag.

"No matter," the dark voice muttered, "your time has come to an end and we won't have to worry about you spilling secrets."

I jumped up out of my chair and ran a hand through my rough brown hair in frustration.

"STOP!" I yelled with all my might.

"You're on the phone?!" The dark voice exploded.

"Yes," I said confidently, "and I'm calling the police right now."

The man chuckled, "You think the police can stop me? I have powers and resources beyond your imagination. If you call the police I will hunt you down and I will kill you. This number is for the radio station. I know where you work now."

My legs shook and I dropped the radio's phone onto the silver table. I griped for my cell phone in it's bright yellow case and called 911.

"Thank you for calling 911 what's your emergency?" she asked in a cheery voice.

"I work at the local radio station and a man called me up drunk and said someone was following him and I didn't believe him, but now amanisinhishouseandtryingtokillhim." I rushed so much that my words blended together.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't understand you. Can you speak more clearly into the mouthpiece?" Her cheery tone still in place.

"There is someone trying to kill a drunk guy, who called me!" I practically shouted at her.

"Okay sir we are on our way. What is your location?"

How is she still cheery? I thought. A man is about to die!

"I'm at the radio station 99.1," I said frantically.

I looked at the radio stations phone and saw that all the lights were blinking. I had forgotten to switch the radio off. The realization hit me hard. Everyone had just heard what happened over the phone.

"Oh no," dropping my cell phone, I quickly switched off the mic and turned on a random song that happened to be Britney Spears 'oops, I did it again.'

I fumbled for the phone on the floor, "Sir, are you alright?"

"I'm okay for now but you have to help the guy on the phone." I pleaded.

"Sir, you are on the phone. Are you alright?" She was confused.

I let out a groan of frustration, "No, not me the other guy."

"What other guy, sir?" The lady questioned.

I looked around in a stupor and thought. Was this lady stupid or what? Did I not just explain it to her?

"Just send someone to the radio station I need help right away!" I shouted and hung up hoping that they would get here and be able to help.

I sat there waiting when the door opened. I jumped from my seat in fear.

"Are you here to help?" I asked quietly.

A lady dressed in white with short, blonde hair and bright blue eyes approached.

"Yes I'm here to help you," She said with a big smile, "It's time for dinner."

I looked around in confusion at the white walls and the white bed. Where was the radio phone? How did I get here? There was a small empty desk with a silver chair bolted to the ground. I held a banana tightly in my right hand.

The lady continued to smile, "Bryan, Are you coming?"

I nodded and took her arm as she led me through the white halls. It smelled strongly of bleach. I looked down at my feet that were wrapped in thin white shoes that were as thick as paper.

"Are you going to help that guy on the phone?" I asked the lady leading me through the halls.

Confusion clouded her eyes, then realization, "Yes I will." She gestured to a white table with a silver chair that was bolted to the ground. "Here's your seat and I'll be right back with your medicine."

She walked off smiling at the people she passed. Why was everyone wearing all white like me? I laid the banana on the table as I sat down in the cold hard chair. The lady came back and set a little white cup, with two blue pills, down on the table, "Bryan we have talked about this before, remember? The banana isn't a phone." The lady took the banana, peeled it, and handed it back, "The voices aren't real. Now be good and take your medicine, dearie."