Chapter Thirteen: A Whole New War

The lights flickered slightly as the candles swayed to a silent melody. Miles watched over Amelia as she slept peacefully in what he assumed was a long time. Her chest moved up and down slowly, her eyes twitching with whatever dream she might be having, and her hair tangled with leaves from earlier. Her right arm was bandaged nicely, but he could see a bit of blood beginning to bleed through. As he watched her he heard a creak in the floorboards outside.

He stood up quietly, but quickly, ready for whoever might come through the door. He spread his legs apart evenly to keep his balance and bent his knees slightly to get ready for a jump. When his alpha came through the door, he quickly submitted and bowed his head. He placed two fingers to his head and lowered them to the ground as he lowered himself to a kneeling position. He never looked up at his alpha, or rose from that position.

"Alpha McCarthy..." He said quietly, afraid of waking up Amelia. McCarthy looked down at Miles with his dark green eyes. His soft red hair was combed back, and his mustache covered his shaking top lip. He nodded as he fixed his black bow tie. "Rise James." Miles rose from his kneeling position but still didn't raise his eyes to meet his alpha's.

"Have you spoken with the Lamia sisters?" McCarthy walked over to the bed Amelia rested on, arms behind his back as he looked over her. "James?" The use of his middle name reminded Miles of his position as Beta. It also reminded him that he neglected his duties moments ago.

"No. I was waiting for your word, Alpha." He spoke carefully, knowing he was about to get punished for what he'd done. McCarthy was quiet as he watched Amelia. The only sound was her soft breathing. Finally McCarthy turned and faced Miles head on.

"We need to keep her here... but in secret." Miles looked up at that point, shocked to hear what he had said. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it when he got the narrowed eyed warning. He bowed his head again as an apology. "Alpha may I ask why?"

McCarthy sighed, walking over to the window that looked out over Dorset street. "This woman was running for a reason... and not a single Lamian was around when those BlackBloods attacked. If she was running from the Crowley Estate than we should be gracious enough to allow her the time she needs." He looked down at a figure below. He saw the dark eyes that looked up at him. "But we will offer her the safety she clearly needs."

He narrowed his eyes as the sun leaked into the street. He expected the man to run to the shadows, but he stood there. His eyes never left McCarthy's as the sun finally touched the man. McCarthy's eyes widened as he realized the real danger. That beast was different than the others, and he didn't have to limit himself to the dark. The man gave a small smile before he walked away, towards the sunny center of London.

"Miles..." At the sound of his name he looked up at his Alpha. McCarthy sounded strangely quiet and frightened. "Is something wrong, John?" He walked over to the window to take a look. He looked around and only saw a few humans up and around like usual in the morning. McCarthy looked away from the window and at Miles. His eyes were sharp and shining with the authority of an Alpha, but also with fear.

"Stay with Miss Walker. I believe she's more important than we think." With that he left the room. His long, black tail coat brushed against the floor as he moved. Miles watched with a troubled stare before looking out the window again. He saw a familiar face and smiled at the young man. He returned a wave and then turned away from the window, closing it so the sun wouldn't awaken Amelia.

***

"How dare you touch my bride!" McCarthy didn't even flinch as Dante roared at him. He simply stared the frightened beast in the eyes and kept calm. "Lord Crowley, your fiance is safe with the pack. I think we have a bigger problem on our hands..." He looked at Leonardo across the room. He sat, still recovering, in a chair moments ago when McCarthy had arrived. Dante nodded and then turned to his little brother.