Chapter 19

Sabine's POV

When I did manage to get an appointment for the doctor all he told me was to use the crutches for a few days and to be careful. I could have told myself that. It meant that I was cursing the stupid crutches again.

I was currently working on the finishing touches to my photography portfolio. I had got sick of my dorm room so I had moved to a small, empty classroom. I had just got all my photos printed and all I had left to do was decide exactly what photos to use and where to put them.

It was hard to pick pictures over others. I needed to make sure that all the photos showed something different. I thought that all the photos were the best quality ones so I didn't have to worry about that.

It took me a while to even decide on ten and I was only half way through. I still needed to pick another ten. At last I was able to finish it off and I had twenty photos sitting in front of me. I then had to place them on the board and I was glad when they were all stuck on.

I lay back on the ground as my finished portfolio lay in front of me. I still had a couple of days before it had to be finished but I was glad that it was done. I would have to be prepared to do it all again next semester.

All my friends were rushing to finish theirs as well. All their photos had been taken but that didn't mean that it was all easy from there. I liked the quietness of the classroom so rather than leaving I grabbed out my painting work.

I was currently working on the sight from when I was sitting after I injured my ankle. I had to mostly do it from memory but I had sat there to get the building outlines. I had been working for a while when I was surprised to see Liam come in.

"Hey," I said when he looked slightly surprised to see me.

"Have you seen Carey?" he asked.

"No."

"Fuck"

"How come you thought that he would be in here?" I asked.

"He often works in here so I thought he might be here. Have you seen Carey today?"

"No, if I do I'll tell him that you are looking for him."

He nodded before heading out and shutting the door behind him. I sat there for a few minutes without returning to my work. Liam seemed quite desperate to find Carey and I wasn't sure why. I had to push that out my mind and focus on my work.

I had only been working for ten minutes when the door opened again but this time it was Carey walking in.

"Liam was looking for you," I told him.

He didn't say anything in response, instead sitting down with his back against the wall. I could tell that he didn't want to talk about it so I continued to work. I had mostly finished with my current piece but I was fine to work in silence for a while.

After a few minutes Carey moved from his position against the wall to sit in front of me.

"Are you alright?" I asked him.

"I told want to talk about it."

I could help but notice the red ring around his eyes indicating that he had been crying. It wasn't something that I wanted to push him on so I didn't ask him anything more about it.

"How is your photography portfolio going?" I asked him.

"I handed it in this morning so it is done. What about you?"

"I just finished so I need to hand it in and then I'm done which I'm pretty glad about."

He didn't say anything else and I returned to working. When I looked up next Carey was still sitting there and he was sketching in a notebook. Once I had finished my piece I started to pack up.

"Are you going to stay here?" I asked.

He looked at me and was surprised to see that I had packed up.

"Do you need help getting your work to Mr Scott?" he asked eyeing my crutches.

I paused because I hadn't thought about it so I nodded. I grabbed my board off the ground and tucked it under his arm before helping me up. I could carry it while using crutches, shown by the fact that I made it here, but it was difficult.

Carey made sure to walk at a pace that I could keep up and I couldn't help but think about how considerate he was. Carey always made sure that I was comfortable. I think that it came from the fact that he was very aware of everyone and was very observant.

Mr Scott was in his office and he smiled at us when we walked in.

"This is my portfolio," I told him.

He unfolded it and I noticed his slight smile as he looked at it.

"Congrats Sabine. Have a good break," he said.

I nodded and slowly followed Carey out of the office. We hadn't made it far from the building when someone started calling Carey's name. We both turned around to see Liam running towards us. I glanced over to see that Carey looked a little panicked but I wasn't sure why.

"Carey, I was looking for you," Liam told the other man.

"Sorry, I hadn't managed to find you," Carey lied.

Liam got closer to us before stopping in front of us. He paused for a minute and no one said anything.

"What's the matter with you, man?" he finally asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," Carey told him.

"I'm serious because I've never seen you like that," Liam pushed on.

"And I'm serious that I didn't want to talk about it."

The two guys then stood in silence and I wasn't sure if they were going to start fighting each other. I decided to get in and separate it before it got to that.

"Okay, guys, separate," I started.

I pushed them backwards and away from each other.

"Calm down and have this conversation when you are a bit calmer," I told them.

Liam stepped backwards, scowled at Carey and then walked away from us. Carey was taking deep breathes and was trying to calm himself down.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Fuck off," Carey snapped and then walked away from me leaving me very confused.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One