The Thought of Her

I sat there, sitting at my computer desk playing my favorite game in the world, Happy Wheels to pass the time, as my favorite show American Dad played in the background on my TV. I kept looking down on my desk, waiting for my phone to buzz, hoping that she would just text me back. I thought to myself “was it something I said, did I say something stupid and make her not want to reply?” All these thoughts raced through my mind as I sat there, waiting for the inevitable vibration of my phone to go off, to assure me that the conversation that I was just having did not stop cold in its tracks. After five minutes I thought to myself “you might just be over reacting” and went back to watching TV. Ten minutes later I decided to text myself to see if my phone was still receiving text messages, unfortunately, it was. Now I just sat there, head slumped over staring straight down into my lap, wishing that my phone would make the buzzing sound it made as it vibrated on the wood of my desk. I then realized that the sound almost provided a comfort to me, a thought that someone, somewhere cared about me as they read what I said to them, and I read what they said back to me. It’s almost enough to make you feel whole inside, to feel like a small amount of sadness has left your body, and will stay gone, forever. It’s been an hour now and still nothing, my phone just lies there, motionless and silent as I think to myself, there’s no one there, no one on the other side of this conversation, no one to listen, no one to care, as I sat there in my desk chair I to was as motionless and silent as my phone.