Shade 1: Because Im so fucking in love with you

(Fluff)
Damon's POV-

These past few months have been torture. Watching Elena get hurt over and over again. I wanted to slowly murder Liam so he could feel the pain that she went through. Hell, that she's still going through. And I've been trying to tell her for months that she needs to snap out of it and officially dump his sorry ass. Everyone else has been telling her the same thing, but it's no use. She's blinded and I don't know why or how.
She's been gone for a while now, no one has seen her all day and I have no idea where she is. Probably off with Liam somewhere getting her heart broken again. I've called her and texted her countless times with no response. Caroline and Bonnie have tried, along with Stefan and the same results came. I was worried, what if something bad happened? what if that shit head Liam did something? Oh, because I need another fucking reason to rip his head off. Ugh, this is viciously infuriating, I'm going to snap any second and hunt him down. I don't understand why she can't see that he's bad for her. I just wish things could go back to the way they were.
Although, I knew that this was kind of my fault. I was the one who broke up with her all those months ago, we dated for about 5 months. I decided to end it because I knew that it was causing problems. People wanted us apart, I became selfish, events happened that ended with blood and tears. We both wanted each other so badly, but it's like the whole universe wanted us apart. It was a mistake that I will forever regret, I never wanted to let her go.
I heard the door open and close behind me.
"There you are! Where the hell have you been?" I said walking up to Elena.
"It's okay Damon, I'm fine" she said dismissively.
"No you're not fine. Please tell me that you weren't with that thing" I said, "I've been worrying and calling like crazy and you couldn't bother to even text back an 'ok'?"
She sighed, "Damon I said Im fine"
I stopped to really look at her for a second, scanning her face.
"You were with him weren't you" I said, not even coming out as a question.
"He...he just wanted to apologize" she said.
I laughed, but there was an icy twist to it.
"Apologize? Really? For what? The countless amount of times that he's cheated on you, the times that he's let you down, made you cry, the way he's left you in the dust without hesitation?" I said, my voice rising with every word, "maybe you should be the one apologizing to yourself for crawling back so many times"
She lost eye contact with me. It's like my words killed the sound around us. I let that eat away at her, making her give me an answer.
"I don't know what you want me to say..." she said, looking at me for a few seconds then continued to look down.
"How about you tell me that you will stop seeing him. Leave him forever! I don't even know why you got with him in the first place, you knew exactly what kind of guy he was from the gate!"
"People can change" she argued.
"I'm sorry what? 'People can change'? You're joking right? Even you had to realize that was bullshit as it came out of your mouth"
She rolled her eyes and I was seriously getting irritated now, but I was done yelling. I took a step toward her to where I was only a foot away from her.
"Elena...what's going on? Why are you doing this to yourself? By going back every time, you're not only hurting yourself but...you're hurting me"
She looked up at me. Those beautiful broken brown eyes.
"Just...come home. To me" I said "I need you home with me"
Her expression softened and she looked so painfully innocent.
"Elena-" I said and I grabbed her hand but she cut me off and to my surprise she yanked her hand away and sighed
"Stop. Just stop it" she said
"Stop what?"
"Trying to fix this! You broke up with me, you wanted this! So why do you even care?" She was starting to raise her voice too.
"No elena you're wrong! I never wanted this-I never wanted to let you go. And why do I care? Why do I care- because Elena, I'm so fucking in love with you and you don't even realize it!" I said with the result of pure silence afterwards.
It was so silent it was damn near suffocating, my whole body felt heavy. She stared at me, or rather she was looking straight through me as if I didn't exist. The thing is, I haven't told her I loved her, or at least I haven't told her that I was completely and utterly in love with her. I mean, I think she already knew but I couldn't quite find the right time to say it. I was scared to at the start because at the time I still wasn't sure wether or not she felt the same. That was where she first became a vampire and she was still going through mixed feelings. Even when we dated, I was still skeptical of her decision and I didn't want to overwhelm her with how I felt. I'm trying to work on the whole not being selfish thing.
"What?" She asked softly
"Elena, I love you-I'm in love with you. It's been that way for a long time now" I said, taking her hands in mine again. This time she didn't pull back.
"But you said-"
"I know. I know what I said. I was wrong okay? I was scared that you wouldn't want this and it was making everything difficult. And you know what? To hell with what everyone else thinks, I just want you. I want to be with you because you are everything to me and seeing you like this, without me...god Elena, it's killing me. I love you and nothing will ever change that"
Another moment of silence, but it was different this time. It was like fireworks were going on outside. I could hear her heart beating, her breath grazing my neck and I could see her eyes trying to figure out the jigsaw puzzle in mine.
"I'm in love with you too" she said, staring at me this time. I stared back and gently smiled.
"I"m in love you, Damon" she repeated, I think trying to clarify to herself. I exhaled in relief then put my forehead to hers and gave her hands a squeeze.
"Then why? Why Liam?" I whispered.
"I know and I'm really sorry. But, when we broke up...it really got to me. I thought that you didn't want to be with me anymore. I childishly acted out and was just with him because I wanted to get over you. It didn't work, obviously. I just kept going back hoping that maybe it would change and the pain I was feeling would go away. It never did because I couldn't stop loving you" she explained. She let go of my hands and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into a tight, comforting hug. I hugged her back taking in her warmth, her scent, just her feel. I missed it so much.
"God, we've got this all backwards" I smiled into her shoulder. Then I sighed, "I'm gonna kick Liam's sorry ass."
I got a little laugh out of that.
"Eh, maybe later. I just want to be with you right now"
I smirked, "well I won't say no to that." I slightly pulled back so I could kiss her. I missed those lips. I could be in the worst mood and they could always bring me back to sanity. She could always bring me back to sanity.
"I never want to let you go again. You are my life, Elena. I hope you know that"
I seen her eyes water and I brushed a small strand of hair out of her perfect face.
"I do now" she said holding back the tears. "And you are my life, Damon. I hope you know that"
I smiled, "I do now" and I cupped her face and kissed her again softly. "I love you so much Elena. I want you with me forever and I am going to murder Liam later, just so you know. The thought of him hurting you over and over again for 2 months enrages me and I want him to burn slowly so you'll never have to see him again and he'll never see the light of day"
She smiled a little, "You know, I'm not mad at that idea. But like I said, you can do that later, right now I just want to be with you and forget all that's happened"
"I like that idea" I smiled and picked her up with her legs wrapped around my waist, then used my vamp speed to take us to my bedroom.
I gently set her on the bed with her arms still around my neck, not wanting to let go. I got on top of her and kissed her again, deeply. Then it got softer and after a minute she slowly pulled away with a smile upon her perfect lips.
"Do you mind if we just lay here? I just want to be in your arms" she asked softly.
"Of course my lovely" I said and kissed her forehead. I laid by her side and pulled her in close making sure she was nice and secure in my arms. Our legs intertwined and I pulled the blanket over us as I gave her a little squeeze.
"Are you tired?" I asked
"Yeah a little. It's been a long day" she replied, her eyes already drifting shut.
"Same here. Just relax, Elena. You're with me now. Close your eyes and go to sleep" I said and I kissed her on her forehead once more as I rested my chin on her head. I closed my eyes, my heart feeling full, having nothing but her on my mind as I slowly drifted away. She was mine again. It was like I could breathe normally once more and I could relax.
I was still gonna kill Liam slowly though. Just not right now. Right now, I just wanted to stay in this moment forever.

A/N
I do hope you can find it in your heart to be patient with me as I am a writer who is often low in motivation and inspiration. I have ideas, it's just a matter of when I'm going to put it in words. As always I appreciate your compliments and critiques, thank you sincerely for taking the time to read my work. I love each and every one of you. Xoxo.