Chapter 30: Hastiness

Sarah Anderson and Sam, Courtyard.

"Look out!" Sam's scream tore through me like a great shard of glass.

I felt my eyes widen in surprise and my pulse quicken at what I saw as I turned my head to the side.

A tall brute demon was right on top of me with his massive, hackneyed sword raised up in the air. "Grrr--!" A typical cry of war exited his scar-deformed mouth.

"Ahh-!" As quickly as it all happened, a desperate and also terrified scream of my own crawled up my throat. My foot slipped out upon catching some loose soil and I fell onto the ground with a loud thud, face heading the grass. Immediately, I covered the back of my head with my arms and embraced myself for being sliced. The excruciating, piercing metallic sound of clanging swords hovered in the air; silence followed, remaining the next minutes. Uh? I frowned a bit confused at the lack of deadly occurrence. I lifted my head, "Am I alive? Why am I alive?" I looked up at the man in front of me.

Sam had stalled the brute's strike right on time. He stood there still, his facial expression tense and full of rage, holding up his red dragon-like sword that supported at the time the brute's blade, painting, and gasping for air. A sheen of sweat covered both their perfectly lined out bodies, free-flowing like condensation on a windowpane, beading their forehead and dripping from their chin. Both of them stepped away from each other. Around the brute's figure was a faint brown and yellow light that was diminishing with each breath he took. Around Sam, however, was a clear view of a tense red and green aura. It seemed to flicker like flames, but it didn't seem to die off even after the dangerous encounter had passed already.

"S-Sam ..." I stammered in a low tone of voice, myself short of breath, extremely grateful for his quick thinking and action.

When he turned at last to face me, he had this stern look on his face and was staring at me intensively. His eyes were narrowed, rigid, and harsh, giving such a glare that froze me 'till the bones."What the hell?! Jumping into an open field meant for practice with weapons, REAL ONES, like that?! Are you mad?! Completely out of your mind?!" He yelled, scolding me similar to when a teacher consecutively scolds his students for talking mindlessly with each other, not having a care in the lesson.

I shrank before his high voice. "I-I'm s-sorry! I-I'm so sorry!" Straightway, I joined my hands together in a form of an apology; I now regretted piously my thoughtless action, this could have ended up badly for me.

"You can't be that reckless of a person..." Sam ruffled his hair; the brown tips haphazardly pushed so they intertwined into beautiful chaos."Geez, ya doofus..." He murmured as a relieved sigh exited his lips. "My brother would have chopped my head if you would have lost yours..."

My eyes widened and my face washed blank with surprise, like my brain's neurons couldn't pass on the message fast enough for me to take in his last words. "What?"

Sam's face frowned confused. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

"Did you just--" Every muscle of my body just froze before the realization. "You know who i--"

Sam opened his mouth to speak but closed it quickly as he was interrupted.

"Prince Aomaris." The Brute demon stepped forward. "Do you know this... maiden?" He knew better to choose his words wisely. "I've never seen her around, she could be pretty much an intruder or--!"

Intruder?! Who did he take me for?! I didn't want to be there in the first place! Irene brought me against my will!

"That's none of your business, you little shit." He answered inexpressively; and that was Sam for you.