Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Signor Rafael ran his callused hands over the map planning his next move; things where not going as planned, the food supply was starting to run low and in-between the sleepless night and the continuous sense of insecurity the last three weeks were taking its toll on him and his men, they wouldn't be able to handle much more this. They were going crazy. Rubbing his eyes tiredly Signor Rafael rolled the map up setting it aside, what was he to do? He had been searching for three weeks with no signs, perhaps he had underestimated the people of El Dorado for they proved to be most elusive, or perhaps the stories of the ancient city of the God's and animalistic warriors were lies, tales to make little children behave.

Rafael shook his head he refused to give up after he had come so far, plus all stories have an origin or some truth, right? the feel something or someone standing behind brought him out of his thoughts, slowly he reached for the dagger he kept hidden by the waist band of his pants; as soon as his hand closed around the hilt of the dagger he jumped from his and turned to face his opponent "Father?" His fourteen-year-old son Angelo, stood just inches away from the daggers sharp point holding an empty bowl witch contents had been lost during the frightened boys escape from death, Angelo glanced from his father's face to the dagger in his hand worriedly "I-I brought you food" slowly Rafael lowered his dagger forcing his muscles to relax "thank you Angelo, but I'm not hungry " Rafael gave a small smile to reassure the boy, " go with the others and stay close to the fire" Angelo nodded his head and started to walk back to the main group casting a worried look back to his father who waved his hand in a motion for him to keep going; as soon as Angelo was out of sight he pick his stool off the ground and stepped out of his small make-shift tent to look towards the unseen night sky, what was he to do? Take his losses and go home to lick his wounds or possibly die trying to find El Dorado! What would his wife say? His dear Angelina that he named their son after, she would surely be giving him a piece of her mind for putting their son in such danger by bring Angelo with him, what a fool he was for even coming into this cursed place.

Deep in thought Rafael stood in place never knowing that in the high tree tops he was being watched by the eyes of animal far worse than those on the ground, and would later be the last thing he would see.

Rafael had not slept at all that night and the only thing that told him that it was morning was the slight change in lighting "Sir," Rafael turned to look at his best and most trusted friend Roberto "Roberto, how many times have I have to tell you that you don't need to call me Sir.", Roberto shrugged as he leaned against a tree a few feet away from Rafael. "Some habits die hard, but it can wait. We found it." Rafael's eyed his friend, "You found "IT"?" he asked in disbelief slowly standing from his stool, Roberto grind mischievously "Do you think I would joke about this? That's harsh Rafael." a smile made its way to Rafael's face "You always pull though for me my friend, Were is it?" the grin on Roberto's face widened "Right under our vary noses, they are playing us as fools" Roberto stood strait and waved for Rafael to follow him as he began to walk into the darkness

"Roberto wait we need to get a torch" Roberto shook his head and kept walking "we don't need one" Rafael followed his friend for no more than 30 minutes when Rafael heard the sound of rushing water, as they got closer to the sound a large waterfall came into view and streams of light pierced through the thinning trees Roberto paused "Whatever you do don't stand to close to the water, I would not be surprised if mermaids were in there. "Roberto laughed humorously as Rafael glared at Roberto's back then gave a wary look towards the murky water "If you told me you had seen one I would believe you at this point." As they reached the edge of the cliff Rafael, could see the valley below, Roberto knelt down and pointed down "right there" carefully Rafael lead over the edge to look below them. Rafael's eyes winded at the sight below him, stone buildings like he had never seen filled both sides of the water's edge, and people dressed in fine clothes walked about the peace full city. " Tell the troops we attack at dawn" Roberto grind "Yes sir".

At the crack of dawn Rafael's camp was on the move, the plan was set and the troops were almost in place; everything was going as planned. But still he could not shrug off the feeling that he was being watched.