pilot

A light rain fell over the South American jungle called 'La Selva de Asesions' bringing a slight chill with it to the inhabitants of the silent but dangerous jungle. however on this day the jungle was filled with sound of the invaders as they marched their way through the dense trees, slicing through the thick underbrush and low hanging branches.

Signor Rafael lead his army farther into jungle with every swing of his machete, usually Signor Rafael would not have minded the cold raining whether if it was back at his sunny city of Basilio, however here in the dark jungle it was vile, when he and his army entered the pitch dark jungle he immediately took a disliking to it, the ground was saturated and with each step he took he would sink into the ground covering his boots with a thick layer of mud. the frown on his face only deepened when from the corner of his eye a red flower shot out of the dense brush snapping it's mouth shut inches away for his shoulder. With newly found instinct he jumped away from the plant and turned his body so that his torch was in between him and the flower, immediately the flower let out a loud shriek and shrank back in to the safety of the thick brush hissing at the torch; Signor Rafael muttered a few colorful words under his breath, where was the sun that shined so bright upon Basilio when you needed it?

The sound of a child's giggling from above snapped him out of his muttering; his head whipped to where he thought the sound was coming from, looking around he saw nothing but the darkness that flooded the jungle and the dark shapes of the trees, perhaps he had gone mad because of the darkness. No. Signor Rafael shook his head; he could not afford to think like this; too much was at stake. He had his son to worry about, the poor boy had already lost his mother to this sort of crazy talk and Angelo needed him still.

Trying to keep his mind off the jungle he thought of all the gold that would be his, just as soon as he found the lost city of gold, taking a breath he began to feel more relaxed, but he made the mistake of looking around only to utter a few more profanities.

Reality was always a harsh slap to the face, all he could think about was the blasted trees, they were everywhere; just thinking of them made his blood boil tightening his hold on his torch in one hand he started cutting a path once again noticing that his army was finally catching up to him. With every swing he added to the list of things he disliked about this maddening jungle, there was the red flower with teeth that had a nasty habit of eating humans, and an over grown underbrush that sought to swallow any unsuspecting man that came its way or worse, the mysterious creature that had killed almost half of his men. But what worried him most is that it showed human like intelligence.

Signor Rafael scoffed at where his thoughts had taken him, he had half a mind to just burn the whole damn jungle to the ground and hopefully not burn the gold. Signor Rafael gave a snort of amusement, the jungle most likely wouldn't burn. It was no wonder why all the local villagers avoided this jungle like it was the plague and had named it 'La Selva de Asesinos' meaning the 'Jungle of killers'. Then again, what better place is there than the Jungle of killers was there to build the lost city, El Dorado.