Chapter 29

A Q U A R I U S

I looked up and saw a hunter with a gun in his hand

I looked up and saw a hunter with a gun in his hand. Behind him more hunters starting to come out of hiding with various weapons.

"I'm sick and tired of you damn mutts. If we cannot control you, we kill you. Simple."

Said the man who tried to shoot me. Vincent shifted and growled, obviously wanting to tear the man's heart out.

"Oh, shush you dog. This is exactly why I hate working with hunters. They are stupid and overly cocky. This is all beneath me."

He said looking tired of all this already.

"You're not a hunter?"

I asked him wearily. He did not seem like the typical hunter, cocky and dumb. That was a hunter's downfall. They thought weapons made them stronger when what they really needed was strategy and patience.

He scoffed and looked at me like I offended him.

"Of course not. I would never put myself to that low of standards. Let us just say I'm a doctor, and these are my co-workers."

Said the man. He was exceptionally clean cut and from first glance you would think he was just an attractive human. He was blonde, tall, and slim. He had sharp features and wore glasses like Harry Potter. He was in a suite just like the rest of the men.

"What do you want?"

I asked him. If I could avoid a fight I would.

"What I want are those wolves back. You took my experiments. Do you know what kind of doctor I would be if I could find out why you guys heal so fast, and create something for humans? Or find new medications? I would be a legend, an extraordinarily rich legend!"

He said. I scoffed and stepped forward.

"Why don't you just use rogues if you want to experiment so bad? These are innocent children! Innocent people! People like you are why we can never come out of hiding. We stay to ourselves and don't disturb humans for a reason, that reason being peace!"

I said angrily. He acted like we were a bunch of lab rats. He looked at me like I was stupid.

"Rogues? You know how hard they are to control? Or get to stay in their human form? No thanks, I need healthy specimen for my experiments."

He said like a man refusing lab rats that were below his standards. Vincent growled and that is when he lunged at that man and knocked the gun out of his hands. They fought as his men fired shots and fought the other rogues.

"Let it out!"

Yelled the man as he fended off Vincent's sharp teeth. I looked over to a man who pressed a big red button.

Uh oh.

Big red buttons always meant trouble.

The lab dimmed, almost too dark to see before going back to normal. A loud beeping was heard, and a tank was lifted to the bottom of the floor. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at the creature in the tank.

It was big. Like 7ft tall, big. Pure muscle and had scales all over its body much like a Mish. It resembled a Mish a lot. But the head shape and features were like a shark. It had two holes for a nose and sharp claws on its hands and feet. A long tail with spines all overreached too its feet and two canines came out of its mouth.

When it saw us, it punched the glass hard and roared, or more like screeched.

"What is that...."

I asked in shock and fear. The man laughed crazily.

"A mix between a Mish, shark, saltwater crocodile, and human."

He said. I looked at him like he was crazy. He created a literal monster.

"Release it."

He said to the man who opened the tank. I saw the man's fear and hesitation, but he did as told. The tanks top popped open. The creature looked at it before pushing it up to see if it really was open.

He screeched and jumped out of the tank. All the wolves backed up in fear and the man laughed again catching the creature's attention. The creature screeched and ran at the man full speed.

With all the laughing the man had not seen the creature running at him and when he did it was too late. In one hard pull the man's head was ripped from his body and giant claws were ripped into his gut. I cringed at the sight.

The other men screamed and ran to a button on the wall. A door in the back was opened and they all ran towards it, but not before the creature killed four more men.

I stood next to Morrisey in fear. This thing was a beast.

It screeched and turned to the wolves letting out a high-pitched shriek that brought everyone, including Vincent to their knees. The creature scanned the room and his eyes fell on Morrisey and I. He screeched but stopped halfway and sniffed the air.

He walked towards us and sniffed again. I do not know if it was in fear or hopes of being left alone but Morrisey shifted into his true form. I too half shifted letting my scales cover my legs and claws come out. My gills appeared and hands and toes webbed together.

The creature screeched and ran towards us making me flinch, waiting for impact. I screamed when I was picked up and thrown over a shoulder, I opened my eyes to see Morrisey in the same predicament screeching himself and thrashing.

"VINCENT!"

I called out to him. He opened his eyes and gasped when he saw me. He whined and got up and ran after us but was incredibly slower than this creature.

The creature ran outside and hissed when sunlight hit him. He seemed momentarily blinded but still ran to where I am guessing was water.

Outside the war was finished and bodies laid everywhere, mostly hunters thank god. I saw Morrisey half shift back so that he was like me, partially scaly and had his gills and claws.

"KYLE!"

He screeched to the wolf who was on the opposite side talking to Michael and helping an injured wolf. When he looked up and saw Morrisey he dropped everything and ran in our direction. The creature seemed to sense this and picked up his pace.

I gasped when I saw him getting closer to the cliff edge. We were exceedingly high up and I did not want anything to happen if I may be pregnant.

With one last look at Vincent's wolf I felt the air leave my body as the creature jumped.

My heart dropped in my chest and I could not hear anything, not my screams, Morrisey's, or Vincent's howl. Just the rushing of blood and fear that filled my chest.

EDITED 11/12/20