Switch in Guadianship

Gabriel left Emma's room and walked through the kitchen, smelling the grease from the bacon, before darting to the library. He knew who made bacon and it certainly wasn't his brother or Dean. With a smirk on his face he stole the last piece of bacon from Sam's plate and started to eat it as he sat down next to his boyfriend. Sam rolled his eyes with a smile before all four of them started laughing.

"All you had to do was ask." Sam informed the archangel. Gabriel smiled before kissing Sam's cheek.

"Yeah but that's not as fun." He whined. Sam shook his head with a smile on his face. Gabriel took a bite of the bacon.

"Where's Emma?" Dean asked, a smile on his face and an arm around Castiel's waist. Castiel leaned into Dean's chest. Gabriel finished what was in his mouth before answering.

"She's with Jasper in her room. I never liked helping out other angels coat their wings; it's too intimate for me. They'll be fine." Castiel smiled softly, remembering how even though Gabriel would protest, he would still help Cas with his wings. "They're cute together. An angel and a demon, who'd a thought?"

"As long as they're happy." Dean stated, everyone nodded in agreement.

"Dad might not like it." Castiel added.

"When does he ever?" Gabriel countered. Castiel shrugged. "If dad has something to say about it then he can get his ass down here and say it." Gabriel made an exaggerated show of looking for God. "And since I don't see him, I take it he either doesn't care or can't be bothered." Castiel didn't say anything back.

"When should Emma's feathers grow back?" Sam questioned, changing the subject so the two brothers don't start something they shouldn't.

"Five weeks tops." He said without hesitation. "Her wings are healthy, there's no reason for it to take longer than that." Sam and Dean nodded.

"That bastard's gonna pay for what he did to her. I don't ever want to see my angel get hurt again." Dean looked down at Castiel who was comfortable against his chest. "Neither of my angels." Castiel looked up at Dean with a smile.

"About that." Sam spoke up. The two looked over at the younger hunter in confusion. "I've been thinking about our guardianship over Emma." Sam gestured to Dean and himself. "And Gabe was right, she's gonna have to pick who she sees as her parental figures for school and stuff like that. So Gabriel and I have been thinking-" Sam looked to Gabriel who nodded for him to continue. "-and we think you two should be her parents." Dean and Castiel didn't know what to say.

"Sam, we- I- Wow, Sammy. You'd do that?" Sam nodded.

"Emma's always looked up to you for guidance and approval. Of course, it is up to Emma if she wants you two to be her legal parents." Dean nodded.

"Right, yeah, of course." Sam smiled.

"And you know, she's always called Gabriel Uncle Gabe and you did so good with Ben when you went to live with him and Lisa, I wouldn't know where to start with a kid." Dean smiled.

"Thank you, Sammy." Sam waved it off.

"Don't mention it."

Back in Emma's room, Emma and Jasper had stopped kissing and were just sitting on her bed. They both had a smile on their faces from the kiss. The two didn't know how to start a conversation so they sat in silence until Emma spoke up.

"How is it that you get so flustered when you're in front of Uncle Gabe and Dean and everyone but in here with me you're just so. . . so. . . so at ease?" Jasper chuckled.

"Well, I've never been great with authority figures and, well, I've been talking to you for two years." Emma nodded as Jasper shrugged. "You're easier to talk to." Emma looked to her bed with a smile on her face. Jasper started to stare off. "What happened to your leather jacket?" He asked.

"Got to small." She semi-shrugged. "Or really, my wings got to big. I upgraded to a trench coat like one Cas would wear. It's actually comfy." Jasper smiled. "Though I only wear it when I go outside so it could hide my wings." Emma made a show of flapping her wings that still hurt a little at the base. "But now I guess it has to hide mine and my father's." She rubbed her arm subconsciously. Jasper grabbed her hand.

"They've had to explain it to the both of us that your father's death isn't on our hands." He assured her. Emma looked up from her bed into Jasper's eyes and he could tell how much that was weighing her down.

"But I've been the cause of death for a lot of angels." She whispered. "Dean, Sam, Cas, Charlie, Bobby, me. We've had to kill the angels that wouldn't leave me alone." She shook her head and looked down again. "Plus my mom died trying to save me." Jasper grabbed her other hand and held both. "I've been the cause of death for a lot of people, Jas. I don't know how they do it." Jasper brought her in for a hug before getting up and walking to the door. Emma stared after him with a confused look before decided to follow him. They walked into the library with everyone else.

"There's my little Batman." Dean remarked. Everyone raised an eyebrow. "You know, you watched both of your parents die? You're an orphan now?" Dean looked to Sam for help, he only shrugged. "No?" Emma shook her head but had a smile on her face. "I thought it would give you a boost of confidence. Bruce Wayne was able to rise above the death of his parents and became a superhero, I know you can do the same." Emma's smile grew slightly.

"I would take it, Em. Dean's never let anyone else be Batman before." Sam told her. Emma giggled as her and Jasper sat down.

"Alright, alright, I'll be Batman as long as you guys are the rest of the justice league." Everyone nodded in agreement. "Thanks, dad, I needed that." Dean was caught off guard by what she said.

"What did you call me?" He asked. Emma furrowed her brow as she replayed what she just said in her head. Her eyes widened when she heard it.

"I meant Dean, I swear!" Dean chuckled at how pink she got. "I didn't mean to say dad."

"Don't sweat it, kid." He waved it off. "But since you brought up the topic, Sam and I've been talking while you two were in your room." Emma looked between the two. "And we've decided that Cas and I-" Dean didn't get the chance to finish before Emma tackled the two in a hug, her wings wrapping around the two. Dean patted her back gently. "It's up to you of course if you want us to become-"

"Yes." She cut off again as she returned to her seat. Realizing that she might have responded a little to quickly, she bit her lip in embarrassment. Gabriel chuckled.

"Don't worry kiddo, we'll always be your uncles." He told her, gesturing to himself and Sam. Emma nodded.

"We can go legally adopt you tomorrow after we drop Jasper off." Dean announced. "Your parents do know where you are, right?" Jasper went to respond but was cut off when someone's voice started speaking instead. It was a male's voice but not one Emma was accustomed to hearing but something inside her started buzzing like she did.

"Doesn't it normally go to the kid's grandparents when their parents die? Not some hunter and angel she found at a diner on their way home from a hunt?"