Chapter 5: Money Moves

Maya's POV

"What's up bitch?!" I heard someone yelling from the doorway of Laced.

I had just finished talking to my receptionist about a bride who scheduled a last minute appointment for tomorrow when Evette came walking up to the receptionist's desk with a huge smile on her face.

"I come bearing gifts," she said as she handed me a paper bag.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"Open it dummy," she replied back as I took out a white paper box from inside the bag. I opened it, and inside was a huge, decadent slice of chocolate cake.

"Ahhh, it's cake. You're the best!" I said excitedly.

"Yeah, I know," she said flipping her dark purple hair over her shoulder.

"Ugh, you're too much. Let's go to the back before you scare off any potential customers," I told her grabbing the bag and walking past the showroom to the break room.

"You know I could take my chocolate cake back, right?"

"You wouldn't dare," I snapped back as we both sat down on the sofa that I put in there to take naps on.

"Ooooh, did someone say chocolate cake?" Sandra had just walked in the break room from helping a client find a dress.

"Hey girl, how are you?" Evette asked Sandra as she came to sit with us on the sofa.

"I'm good. How is your husband?" Sandra always had to find a way to tie relationships into a conversation. God forbid she was talking to another married person, she could go on for hours.

Evette just smiled even brighter and said, "Everything is amazing, and last night was even greater." She winked at the both of us, and laughed when she saw my horrified face and Sandra's happy smile.

"Okay, enough of that," I told her ending that conversation. Evette shares entirely too much.
"So...uh where did you get the chocolate cake from," I asked in a lame attempt to redirect the conversation.

"Oh, I was with a client tasting wedding cakes. The chocolate was so good so I brought you some."

Evette was a wedding planner. Even though our businesses were separate, we were sort of a team. Whenever I had a client that came looking for a dress who hadn't found a wedding planner yet, I would refer them to Evette, and she did the same for me.

"Speaking of clients, whatever happened to the last client that I referred to you?" She questioned.

"Oh, she's coming in today, she's my next appointment," I stated. Evette called two days ago saying that she had a bride who needed a dress right away. I was always willing to accommodate, so I scheduled an appointment for her. It was more money in my pocket anyway.

"Well get ready, because she's an interesting one," Evette mumbled.

I didn't like the look she was giving me, almost like she felt sorry for me. "Girl who the hell did you send to me?" I asked. I didn't have time for Evette's bullshit today.

"Welp, that's my cue to leave," she said getting up from the couch and walking out to the front entrance.

"So you're just going to walk away? You're going to leave me clueless?"

"Yup, byeeee!" She sang dramatically as she left the store.
———
An hour later, I was fixing displays in the showroom when my receptionist walked a bride over to me for her appointment. She had black hair, ripped skinny jeans tucked into black combat boots, and lots of tattoos and piercings. I wasn't judging, I had seen all types of brides walk through my front door and I treated everyone the same. What had me worried though was the dark expressions her and the people she brought with her had on their faces.