Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

Talal shook her awake far too early. She lifted her head from her desk and blinked, the first fingers of dawn rendering the light of the room grainy and grey.

“My brother awaits you,” Talal said. She was glowing and refreshed, her clothes neat and her scent that of one who had recently bathed. Kiera groaned softly as she shifted. She ached as much from her workout the day before as falling asleep sitting with her sketchbook.

“Why?”

“He is to train you,” Talal said as she crossed to the clothing unit. “You shouldn’t keep him waiting.”

“So early?” Kiera asked.

“He will be occupied today,” Talal chided. “He favors you with his time.”

She was cheerful as usual and brought Kiera a set of clean clothing. Kiera grimaced and rose, changing slowly before leaving her room for the training area. The morning was cool, the sky lightening. A’Ran awaited her with two swords looking alert, as if he’d been up long enough for his first cup of coffee to kick in. She felt sluggish in comparison. A’Ran’s eyes didn’t leave her as she tied her hair in a knot at the base of her neck. She dropped her arms and gave a long sigh, meeting his gaze.

As if he sensed her irritation at the early hour, a look of amusement crossed his face, visible in the shift of his eyebrows. He wore light colors this day of tan, a shade that brought out the depth of honey in his skin. He handed her one sword. She accepted it. It felt heavier than usual already. She stretched again before settling into an awkward stance across from him.

They sparred lightly until her body grew warm and her mind engaged. Kiera concentrated on her movements rather than the silent form across from her, intent on not looking like a fool in front of a master warrior. When concentrating on the weapons, it was also easier to keep from concentrating on him.

Sparring lasted until the sky was clear of night’s blue, at which point he took the sword from her. Kiera watched him lean both weapons against the side of the dwelling before he returned.

“Fighting stance,” he instructed.

She shifted herself in compliance. He moved behind her, keeping within arm’s distance. He tested her balance and adjusted her stance before taking both wrists and moving her hands over her head.

“This is the starting position for this form,” he told her.

He released her and moved before her, back toward her. Kiera watched as he assumed the same position and shifted his stance into a new position. He waited, head twisted over her shoulder to see her. She echoed the movement. A’Ran turned to adjust her stance before returning to the same pose.

The slow movements continued for an hour, with A’Ran pausing between each new one to adjust her stance as needed. She recognized the same routine from the previous day, only this time they moved through it without swords. When she returned to the starting position, her arms were shaking and her legs burning. A’Ran adjusted her one last time before stepping back and nodding.

“This is the first weapons form warriors are taught,” he said.

Kiera lowered her hands and wiped sweat from her forehead. A’Ran appeared none the worse for the session, but she was ready for a hot bath and a nap. He studied her, dark depths taking her in with quiet intensity she was not yet accustomed to. The training had been nothing but politely professional, as if she were another student. The ensuing silence, however, reminded her once more of their awkward status.