Happy Birthday To Me

(Cover made by @stardust24601, she makes great covers ;))

21 June 2004

I'm so excited. I'm six years old today.

I wonder what my mom is going to get me today.

Last year, she got me cake and a new piano. I absolutely love the piano. It's brown and it makes the notes sound deep.

I jump down from my bed and exit with a huge smile on my face.

Huh? Why is it so quiet?

"Mom?"

I hold the dusty railings of the stair. When will my mom ever clean it? She could've at least bothered cleaning it for today. It's my special day!

I reach the floor, still holding the railing. The railing is white, just like the walls in this house. But a few hints of red seem to decorate the railing. Hmm, I wonder why. I think I know why, but I forgot. I go to the living room and see my mom sitting on the couch. "Mom!"

But she doesn't answer. She seems to be staring at the tv. But why? It's so boring. All I can see is dots covering the screen. I find them funny but boring, they look like ants crawling on your tv screen.

I smile when I see a birthday cake on the kitchen counter. I stand on my toes to see the frosting. It's white, but it has a few hints of red, just like the stair railing. On it, I see a writing: HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY, MOLLY!

Hey, that's strange. How could they forget my age? I'm six.

I try touching the cake, but I can't. But why not? I look back at my mom again, but she's still watching tv. Maybe she's just pretending not to know I'm here to surprise me. I decide to shrug it off and run to the piano. It looks just like it did when I first got it.

Wait, what's this? Why are there red stains on it? I open the cover and press one of the notes.

"Do, re... Why can't I press mi?"

Upset, I decide to get up from the piano chair. Wait, there's a girl sitting on the piano chair. I wonder if she's good at playing the piano.

She presses the two notes I did earlier. I notice that we both have blond hair. Cool! What's even cooler is, we seem to be wearing the same dress. Maybe she is my twin but my parents didn't tell me. "Hi, twin," I say with a giggle.

But she ignores me. She continues to stare at the piano notes and suddenly laughs. I hear footsteps coming from the kitchen and see my dad walking to my twin. Why does he look angry?

"Dad!" I call out. But he ignores me, just like my mom and twin did. Why is everyone being so mean to me today?

"Hannah, I told you not to buy this one!" My dad yells.

Oh. My mom's not just ignoring me. He's ignoring my dad too. What could be wrong with her?

I wanted to find out, but then my twin turns around to face my dad. I decide to watch them. "Why not, dad?"

My dad backs away. My twin opens the piano seat and takes out a knife.

I shiver. Why is she bleeding? Why is her hands full of blood? Why is her face covered with it too?

I watch my twin grab my dad's arm. My dad pushes her away, but she stabs his leg. He falls down and screams, blood squirting out of his leg. The blood decorates my twin's dress and body with more blood, as if she isn't covered in enough of it. I inch closer to see my twin and my dad. My twin holds up the knife against his throat. My dad must be brave, because he doesn't seem to protest. He lies motionless as his blood pools around him, some of it flying to the piano. She finally stops and stabs my dad on the chest. "I told you not to complain about the piano, daddy. I was hoping you would listen, unlike mom."

I stare at her then back at my dad, unable to process anything. No, no. This can't be happening. Why is my twin so evil?

I run to my mom, then smile.

Oh. This is just a flashback.

That is not my twin,

That is me.

The red stains on the railings, piano, and cake is blood.

My mom continues to stare at the tv, not paying any attention to me.

Of course, she's dead.

Oh wait! She can't stare at the tv. Her eyes are gone now.

I look at the bloody hole on her chest.

No heart. She never had a heart anyway. When I slit her chest open, her heart was already gone.

I watch myself dig into my dad's chest.

No heart, just like my mom. Never loved me. Never listened to me. Always hit me and tortured me instead. Mom only bought the cake and the piano because I wouldn't stop crying.

"I love you dad, but I don't want to," my twin- I- say. I follow her as she walks up to the cake and places the knife on it. Some of the blood parts with the knife and sticks on the cake. The knife drops on the ground before me number two picks it up. We both walk upstairs. She drags her bloody hand along the rail and opens the bedroom door loudly. She leans against the wardrobe and takes a deep breath.

Don't be afraid. It's painless. Loving those heartless creatures is more painful anyway. End it all so you won't have to love them anymore!

"Goodbye for now, mom. Goodbye for now, dad. Now I don't have to love you again."

She points the knife towards her chest before whispering. "We will meet again."

She closes her eyes and thrusts the knife to her chest. She collapses on the floor, the end of the knife poking out of her back.

But I was wrong. I did not see them both.

They must both be in hell now.

Now I can enjoy this house all to myself!

I laugh and crouch next to my corpse. "Happy birthday to me."