Ch.9: Chaos in Syaraize

Edited: Apr, 28, 2020. 

Note: Slightly long chapter. Above art, example of a Kraitai type Halfhuman by me.

=============

Before they could head over to one of the gates into Syaraize, a distinct whistling made her duck instinctively although there was nowhere to hide. A small, oval police ship floated towards the city. It rose up higher until it became level with a tower attached to the dome. It was a police ship docking tower and a platform slipped out from the building, penetrating the dome that wiggled like jelly. Two officers in white and blue uniforms stepped out onto the platform and disappeared inside—the High Collection police.

Pinti licked her shoulder in embarrassment for showing a moment of weakness.

"So, how are we going to get in?" She composed herself, straightening her back.

Deel pointed to a metal gate—more like a door—at the lower levels, close to the main entrance. Chains crisscrossed over the gate and a clunky padlock held the handles closed. He sauntered over to the gates and took off his necklace.

In a puff of smoke, he turned into his Kathula form and began clawing at the hard-packed sand, digging a hole. Pinti listened for any more ships as she cautiously walked up to see what he was doing—and what the purpose of suddenly digging like a maniac was. A glint of silver flashed as a key poked its head out.

"There you are key! I missed you!" Deel grabbed up the key and fit it in the padlock. The iron gate squealed open, hurting her ears. Inside stretched a metal tunnel that had fluorescent lights on the floor. When Deel set foot inside they lit up until the end. A sweet lemongrass scent filled the tunnel.

He put his necklace back on to turn Human and wrinkled his nose at her, grinning. "Cool, huh? Secret entrance. Just go to the landmark. Clock tower, okay?"

Deel pushed her in the stomach without warning. Pinti stumbled backwards into the tunnel and nearly fell on her butt. Regaining her balance, she turned to face him, but he slammed the door shut and locked her in with the click of a key.

"Pfft!" Pinti glared at the closed door. "A little more explanation could do! What is clock tower?" She raked her brain for the Kathulan words, but the combination of the words confused her. She knew what they meant separately, but not together.

"You stupid, stupid Kathula! Disgrace! What a way to treat a fellow Kathula!" She could have gone on, but there was no point in staying in here. She had to go through this strange tunnel in hopes that he hadn't set her up for failure or a trap. She could well end up in the hands of racist Humans.

"The Scepter of Tamido is on the line." She reminded herself in Kathulan.

The fluorescent lights began to dim inside as they went off one by one in rapid succession from the end of the tunnel. Left in sudden darkness, she took deep breaths to calm herself. When she backed into the wall, it wiggled under her touch and she thought she would fall through it. Taking baby steps, she inched her way forward, feeling the wiggly wall.

It was a strange sort of darkness. Not completely dark, but not dark enough for her night vision to work well. It hurt to concentrate on trying to see. Pinti rubbed her eyes and tried to refocus on her surroundings when she bumped into a door, mashing her nose into metal.

Yowling, she stomped her foot and held her nose.

"Feigat, feigat!" Pinti groaned and gently rubbed her most likely bruised nose. Once the pain ebbed, did she open the door.

Instantly a multitude of noises, smells, and colors bombarded her with the chaos of a city. Chattering languages flew into her ears that she had never heard before. Hundreds of Humans were walking about in suits, cultural draping clothes, sophisticated evening gowns, or colorful spotted and stripped cloaks. Mingled amongst their hoard were Halfhumans of types she had never seen before. Half tiger, half fox, half alligator, half dog, and many more. The jumbled city noises of chattering, squealing, laughing, and shouting overwhelmed her ears when amongst them, a voice jumped out.