Novel or New Boy? Ch 1

Hey Wattpadders! This is my first story, and i hope you will enjoy it! It will have minimal language and s*xuality, and will mostly be from Melanie's point of view... Mel is actually sometimes based on me, but not always!!! Some of her friends are also partly based on my buddies... Well, enjoy! And don't forget....

VOTE!!!!!!!!!

COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now start reading!!!

******************************************************************

Melanie's POV

===========

I stared at the chalkboard in front of me, wildly trying to understand the jumble of fractions, decimals, equations, and other stuff I didn't know existed that was scattered on the dark board in front of me. Smart I may be, but I am not a math genius!! i glanced over at my best friend Sophia and wasn't surprised to see her paper full of answers and still neat and tidy. She was the one that loved math, even the boring stuff that most people hated. As she finished the last problem, she raised her blonde eyebrows at my still-empty page. "Stuck?" she whispered with a smile on her lips. I groaned quietly, looking at the teacher to make sure i wasn't heard, and leaned toward my BFF. "I'm without a clue. PLEASE help me!!!" i frantically begged her. I had 8 minutes to finish the assignment, and I was barely past the third question!!! Sophia rolled her eyes and started muttering explanations and answers under her breath. I would have happily accepted just the answers, but noooooo, she decided that was too much like cheating...

i scribbled down her words and sighed in relief when i completed the last problem with a minute to spare. No detention for me!!!! I shuddered at the thought of what Ms. Shraeder would have said had i not finished the math..... believe me, my parents would have heard plenty about my "lack of determination, intelligence, and understanding." For a woman who was only 5'3", she was stunningly strict, narrow-minded, and just plain mean. Who would have known that so much nastiness fit in her scrawny little body?!?! i felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders when the ball rang and i was free to leave and go home. i recollected the fantastic novel sitting on my kitchen counter and my dark brown eyes lit up like sparklers. I simultaneously started beaming. "What are you so excited about, Mel?" Christy practically yelled at me as she skipped to my side. I winced at her carrying voice, which happened to be her normal volume. "Hey Christy, can you repeat that? I think that there are still some people in China who haven't heard you!" Sophia said sarcastically. I cracked a smile and then answered the question. "I'm just thinking about my new book I bought last night..." I trailed off as all my friends (Jane and Meredith had just come up behind me) rolled their eyes at one another. Jane chuckled at my aggravated expression, and said shaking her head "you just can't think about anything else, can you?" I shrugged and walked off to my locker with a small pool of irritation gnawing at me. My friends were all book lovers too, but I was literally the school bookworm. One morning last year I found a banner exclaiming as much super-glued to my locker door. Not only did it take forever to yank open my locker, but it took me two long, long weeks to get the stupid poster off.

I shook the memory out of my head as the bell rang again, signaling that the buses were leaving in 3 minutes. Since that was my ride home, I had to haphazardly toss the books I needed into my backpack and sprint towards the stairs while trying to zip up the ancient bag. I tripped on my way down and fell onto the linoleum landing with a SLAP! on my stomach. "Uuuhhhh" I moaned in pain, ignoring the students staring at me from behind. Quickly I picked myself up off the tiles and dashed out the front doors. I rushed up the stairs of my bus moments before the door shut and collapsed into a seat halfway down the aisle. "You fell again?" Sophia (who happened to live 5 houses down from me) asked. I looked at her balefully as she cracked up, but I couldn't be mad for long. In a moment both of us were laughing like hyenas on drugs, for hardly any reason at all. Well, it was probably because I fell down the stairs at least three days a week. Every week of the school year. Obviously, I wasn't all that graceful on stairs. Or other things, for that matter... Anyways, back to the bus and the insane, uncontrolled laughter exploding form me and Sophia. That's how me and Sophia were; laughing every five seconds with minor arguments in between.