Chapter 10

10

Once Mira was bathed and is a clean dress, Rapunzel began to look at her head. “So, what happened?” Rapunzel asked, trying to make sense of the baseball sized lump on Mira’s forehead.

Mira shrugged, “I fell out of a tree.”

“And what were you doing in a tree?”

“Robin told me there was a hollow up there where we could be safe for the night.” Mira was slightly embarrassed as she remembered her tremendous fall.

“Oh you were with Robin! Well if anyone knows how to deal with bumps and bruises it’s her. That girl has been through everything!” Even the mention of Robin’s name set Mira thinking about the events the day before, and how she had just disappeared. She had shown concern for Mira, so she wouldn’t just leave her, would she? It didn’t matter now, though. “Do you know if she gave you anything?” Rapunzel was asking.

“What?”

“You know, did she give you any medicine or anything?”

“Oh, yea I think so, but I was passed out when she gave it to me. She put the bottle away too fast, so I couldn’t tell what it was.”

“Darn, I always use what she does, but I’ll give you some of this.” Rapunzel pulled a bubbling purple liquid out of the cupboard.

“And what is that?”

“I forget what it is called, but it’ll help with the pain.” Mira winced at the smell as she was handed the bottle. It felt as if it was boiling in her hands, except without the heat.

“Do I have to drink all of it?” Mira continued to stare in disgust at the bottle in her hand.

“Not all at once. A few sips will do for now.” She giggled at Mira’s reaction. “Don’t worry, it’s not all that bad.”

Mira pulled the cork on the bottle and held her nose as she drew it to her mouth and took a sip. It was hot and cold at the same time. It felt like some sort of explosion were happening on her tongue. She didn’t even have to swallow, it just threw itself down her throat. Mira gagged in surprise.

Rapunzel laughed. “I thought you might like it.”

Once Mira had come back to her senses, she began to think about Rapunzel. “Wait a minute, why are you still in this tower? Where is your prince? Where’s the castle?”

All at once Rapunzel’s face was stricken with grief. “I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“Well, he rescued me, and then we went to the castle and got married. It was an amazing wedding. That’s the point where they wrote the ending of my story. You know, the ‘happily ever after’ part? Well, I believed it. For about a week. Then one morning I woke up and he was gone. No one had heard anything of him. I assumed he had urgent business, and had to leave immediately. That is the only reason that I thought that he wouldn’t tell me. I waited for a very long time, but he never came back. The castle didn’t feel like home without him, so I came back here. It is the only other home I have ever known.

“That’s what happened to Robin!”

“What?”

“Robin disappeared too. There one minute, gone the next. Lost her in the dark last night.”

“Strange.”

Just then there was a slurred sort of singing from below. The voice stopped, and let out a bellowing “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair.” Rapunzel rolled her eyes.

“Who is that?” Asked Mira.

“Phillip.”

“Phillip who?”

“You know, Sleeping Beauty’s prince?” She sighed. As far as I know she’s still asleep. He’s been searching for her for months, but all he’s really accomplished is to circle my tower hundreds of times. The poor thing, drunker than a” The bellow came again, and she sighed, walking to the window. “Phillip, I marked the rock at the back of the tower. Press it and you can get to the staircase.” He nodded loosely. In no time there was a loud scraping sound of the door, and then the sound of slow, heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. Rapunzel turned to Mira. “He really is a doll, but he was so upset when he couldn’t find his love that he turned to drink. Let’s just say it didn’t help him much.” The two girls sat in silence, listening to the advancing footsteps.

When he finally reached the top he was sweating, and it took him a moment to catch his breath. “Rapunzel, do you have any--” he stopped when he caught sight of Mira. “Well lookie here!” He stumbled so close to Mira she could smell his breath, which, if she could see it, she was pretty sure it would be green.

Rapunzel grabbed shoulder, pulling him back. “This is Mira.”

“Mira,” He gazed at her, “you are beautiful.”

Mira couldn’t help blushing, despite his drunken state.

Rapunzel grabbed his arm, “Why don’t you get some rest.” She escorted him into another room, and came back with a sigh. “He’s in bad shape.” She walked over to the cabinet where she had gotten Mira’s pain medicine, and pulled out a small, clear bottle. She then poured a glass of water, and poured the bottle into the water.

“What is that?” Mira asked, looking skeptically at the mixture.

“It’s a new one I’ve been working on just for him. It makes them become sober, without all the effects of trying to do it on their own.” She carried the water into the room where Philip was. “Here’s some water for you.” Mira heard her say from the room next door, and then heard him grunt in reply.

Mira suddenly felt a twang of mistrust. Who knows what she’ll give me? Will I become like her lab rat or something? It sounds like she makes these potions, so she has to test them on someone, right?

Just then Rapunzel walked back into the room and smiled at the skeptical look on Mira’s face. “Think you’re next huh?” she smiled, seeming to almost read Mira’s thoughts. “Don’t worry, that’s only for the most dire of situations. There was no way I could explain it to him because of the state he’s in. I had you drink it yourself, right?”

Mira nodded, and a sigh of relief escaped her lips. “Good,” she sighed, although she still wasn’t quite sure if she could trust Rapunzel.

In the room next door, Philip began to snore. In between each one, he said her name, “Mira, Mira, Mira.”